A hearty winter roasted sweet potato salad with roasted tomatoes, onions and blue cheese dressed in a gorgeous blood orange vinaigrette.
I've had warm/cold salads before at restaurants and I absolutely love them. Not only are the temperatures different, obviously, but roasting and grilling changes the texture and concentrates the flavors of ingredients. I had 1 sweet potato leftover and a half box of gorgeous sweet cherry tomatoes as well as a bag of winter greens mix from a Bloggy party I went to that I've been dieing to use. I've never seen a salad bag with so much variety. It had kale, mustard greens, beet greens and some other stuff too. Not only did i get a bag of these greens, but met the people from Cut n Greens as well. They told us about their kale farm and I'm actually hoping to visit there one day...wouldn't that be great?
These greens were amazing. They were crisp and hearty and I loved feeling the different textures. To keep with the winter theme, I also had some blood oranges which are perfectly in season now and made a simple, homemade blood orange vinaigrette.
The combination of the sweet-citrus vinaigrette was perfect for the hearty greens. The sweet potatoes and cherry tomatoes caramelized and I couldn't stop snacking on them before making the salad. Seriously...just awesome. I added a touch of blue cheese, which is salty and cut through the sweetness.
1) On a foil lined baking sheet, add sweet potatoes, onions and cherry tomatoes. Toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes until everything begins to caramelize.
2) To make the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake for a few seconds.
3) Toss 2Tb of vinaigrette with the salad greens in a bowl and place on plate. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes and onions. * Store leftover vinaigrette in a small container and store in fridge. You will have extra.
4) Top salad with crumbled blue cheese.
*You can opt out of this if you want the salad vegan.
Winter Sweet Potato Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 cups winter greens mix kale, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
- ¼ onion sliced
- ½ lb cherry tomatoes
- 1 oz blue cheese crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 blood orange juiced
- 2 tangerines or 1 orange, juiced and zest
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tb Dijon mustard
- 1 Tb honey
- 2 Tb rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a foil lined baking sheet, add sweet potatoes, onions and cherry tomatoes. Toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes until everything begins to caramelize.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake for a few seconds.
- Toss 2Tb of vinaigrette with the salad greens in a bowl and place on plate. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes and onions.
- * Store leftover vinaigrette in a small container and store in fridge. You will have extra.
- Top salad with crumbled blue cheese.
- *You can opt out of this if you want the salad vegan.
Nancy @ gottagetbaked says
I love everything in this salad (except the blue cheese - I know, blasphemy! I totally deserve your disdain). Sweet potatoes are so yummy and nutritious.
Wow! This salad really calls you from across the page, doesn't it? I love those hearty salads and the mix of sweet potato, blue cheese, and onion really says my name. Thanks for the cravings! 😉
Yumm Sam, I am making this ! Looks & sounds so appealing. I just need to get blood oranges though. Maybe I can use grapefruit. Have lots of that !
adam @unorthodoxepicure says
Judith in Ottawa says
No sweet potato in the recipe ingredients?
My apologies, Judith. I just noticed that as well. I added it..should be 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1in cubes.
Liz @ The Lemon Bowl says