A flavorful and easy one pot lemon chicken cooked with rice and chickpeas and seasoned with bold Mediterranean spices of cumin and sumac.
One pot lovers, unite! This is a new revelation for me to be honest. I am a multi-pot user per the usual, but have been wanting to experiment with one pot dinners. And I mean a true one pot meal. Not a pre-blanch in this pot or another pot to bake it in. Everything in one and done.
The inspiration for this one pot came from using what I had in my pantry. A collection of spices I sort through as I juggle flavor combinations in my head, some defrosted chicken thighs and bulk essentials made this one pot dish ready in just over 30 minutes.
Rub the protein with any spices you have on hand, though I have noticed I have an ungodly amount of turmeric spice bottles so that was an essential. Cumin, paprika, sumac and my favorite ingredient, lemon zest is also added to the rub. You will just love the flavor combination!
Sear the chicken in a bit of olive oil and keep that skin on those thighs. It will render into some amazing chicken fat (aka shmaltz for all my Yiddish speaking friends) and once the fat is rendered, you’ll want to saute the dried rice in that chicken fat. Because let’s be real, fat equals flavor. Plus I don’t feel so guilty because I focus on buying the best quality organic, free-range chicken I can find.
So are you all one pot lovers too? Would you like to see more of these recipes? A one pot video, perhaps?
One Pot Lemon Chicken with Rice and Chickpeas
- 2 lb skin on bone in chicken thighs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 lemon zested, then sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oi for drizzling
- 1 small shallot chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 15 oz .can chickpeas drained
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Fresh parsley chopped
- In a bowl, add the chicken thighs, spices and lemon zest and coat well, rubbing the spice all over the meat.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then in a large oven proof skillet, drizzle olive oil to lightly coat the bottom and sear chicken, skin side down until golden brown, then flip over and sear the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Once done, remove chicken and researve to a plate.
- Add chopped shallots and saute until carmelized for about 3-4 minutes in the fat, add more olive oil if it’s too dry. Then add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add in the dry rice and stir the rice into the cooking fat. Add chickpeas and toss together.
- Then place chicken thighs in the mixture and pour in stock and lay lemon slices over the chicken.
- Turn off heat and place in oven with a cover on for 20 minutes. Then remove the cover and continue cooking for additional 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.