Inspired from bold flavors of chicken shawarma, this salmon shawarma salad uses the same marinade for intense flavors. Served on top of a crisp crunchy salad and finished with a creamy dill sauce. This will most certainly be your favorite weeknight salmon recipe to make!
If you’ve had my everyday chicken shawarma recipe from my cookbook, you know how insanely delicious the shawarma marinade is. I always say I could rub that marinade on anything and it would be fantastic, and it is!
This time, I tweaked the measurements a bit and used the base of the same shawarma marinade for seared salmon. The base has rich olive oil, bright lemon zest and juice and warm spices including paprika, turmeric and cumin. And let me tell you, this is a game changer and will probably be your go to weeknight salmon recipe from now on.
In fact, do me a favor and make a batch of the marinade spice for everything. Then when you’re ready to quick, drizzle olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Fish Shawarma Cooking Tips
- The marinade is quick to whip up and I let the fish marinade for as long as I’m prepping the rest of dinner.
- Don’t have sumac? That’s ok, just omit as lemon offers a good brightness.
- Fish cooks up quick, High heat, sear on first side for about 2 minutes (depending how thick your fish is), then flip over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Make the creamy yogurt sauce! (A very similar sauce goes on these Mediterranean salmon burgers and its so good!) The fresh cooling flavors work so well with the deep flavors of the fish marinade.
More great salads:
Salmon Shawarma Salad
- 2 4-6 ounces wild caught salmon filets skin and bones removed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper
- 1 large garlic clove grated or chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
Yogurt Dill Sauce
- 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/3 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 cups mixed greens chopped romaine, spring mix and/or arugula
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3-4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 Persian cucumber chopped
- Fresh mint leaves
- Charred lemon
- Additional toppings: chopped olive crumbled feta cheese, fresh dill
- Place salmon in a shallow bowl and use paper towels to pat the fish dry very well. In another small bowl, whisk 2 teaspoons of olive oil, spices, grated garlic and lemon zest and juice and pour mixture over salmon, rubbing the marinade all over the salmon and set aside.
- Make the yogurt dill sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.
- Arrange salad into two large bowls and in a mason jar or bowl, whisk together the za’atar vinaigrette ingredients.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Sear salmon on the first side until charred, about 2-3 minutes then flip over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Dress salad with vinaigrette along with salmon shawarma and a good spoonful of yogurt dill sauce.