9) Then cut the quarters in half.
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 6 Tb sugar
- 1 c pistachios chopped finely in food processor
- 1/2 c black cherry preserves quickly pulsed in food processor (no lumps)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg
- orange zest
- 1/4 c cinnamon sugar mix together sugar+cinnamon
- egg for egg wash
- Cream butter and cream cheese in stand mixer with a paddle attachment until creamy. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour and mix until just combined. Dump the dough onto a well floured surface and roll into a ball. Cut the ball in quarters and wrap each quarter in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- For the filling: In 1 bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pistachios. In another bowl, stir together the black cherry preserves and orange zest.
- Take one dough-ball out of fridge (leaving others chilled until ready to use) and on a well-floured surface, roll it out using a floured rolling pin. Roll it out to about 9 inches in diameter.
- *It will feel somewhat hard/stiff in the very beginning, but this is such a beautiful soft dough, once you start working it, it gets easier.
- If you have a round cheese cake pan or any 9-10in pan, use that as a guide to cut a perfect circle for your rolled out dough and save the excess cut-outs to use again.
- Take 2 Tb of preserves and spread a thin layer on the dough. Less is more in this case.
- Now take 1/4 c of pistachio mixture and spread it evenly on the preserves, lightly pressing down.
- Using a very sharp knife or even a pizza cutter, but the dough in half, then in quarters.
- Then cut the quarters in half.
- Now here's where to be gentle and take your time! Take one of the wedges and roll from the outside-in.
- Once all of them are rolled up, place them on cookie sheet, end-side down and brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-18 minutes until lightly golden brown.