Julia Child’s vichyssoise, a classic chilled leek and potato soup.
A simple and summery classic soup is on this week’s Julia Child adventure. Chilled potato and leek soup, vichyssoise. I actually made this soup about a month or so ago when I started my own Julia Child series and decided not to post it because I knew it was going to come up again sometime..and I am glad I waited. So I cheated a little bit and saved the gorgeous bowl of soup for you till now!
I love simple and clean soups like this. Creating a gorgeous and flavorful soup is just as easy as throwing everything in a pot. Some vegetables, protein and some type of broth-cook on low, leave it alone and voila, a flavorful homemade soup. Now how easy is that?
Julia Child’s Vichyssoise
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 lb leeks cut in half, sliced and cleaned well
- 5-6 cups of water chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or parsley chopped (for garnish)
- Simmer potatoes and leeks in broth or water for about an hour until potatoes are tender.
- Use an immersion blender or ladle in a blender and blend until very smooth. Season to taste.
- Stir in heavy cream. Garnish with parley or chives.