A hearty and flavorful chopped antipasto salad filled with quinoa, arugula, roasted bell peppers, salami and creamy gouda.
New Year promise : No more wimpy salads! All in?
I was obsessed with this chopped antipasto salad last week, and when I get obsessed with something, we make a huge batch of it and eat it for the whole week. This usually happens on my days off. All I do is cook on my weekends and even though it's just the 2 of us, I manage to cook for 4-6 people. Which works out since we'll eat it for lunch for the rest of the week. All those recipes I post that are enough for a family of 4?, Ya, turns into a weeks worth of leftovers.
The inspiration for this antipasto salad came from some leftover quinoa I had in the fridge. I originally planned to make a yad-yada healthy-ish quinoa salad with the usual suspects, but then in the crisper drawer of the fridge. I see the beloved...salami! And cheese, and a leftover head of radicchio..and then, the salad wheels start turning and churning and voila....antipasto salad!
These salty and briny ingredients are some of my favorite flavor profiles. Savory > sweet, any day! The bitter radicchio with peppery arugula pairs perfectly with salty salami and capers. I added roasted red peppers to help cut the saltiness and the quinoa helps soak up all the vinaigrette. Really, use whatever you have on hand like I did.
More great salads:
Chopped Antipasto Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ radicchio chopped
- 3 Tb capers
- 2 roasted bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 cup arugula chopped
- 3 oz salami chopped
- 3 oz gouda or provolone cheese chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 Tb dijon mustard
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese few tablespoons
- 2 Tb balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the salad, add all chopped vegetables and quinoa into a bowl and gently toss together.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake well until combined. Pour about half of the dressing into the salad and mix to combine. Add more dressing if you prefer ot save the rest.