Is there anything more comforting than the whip of baking cinnamon on a cool morning? This baked french toast is the epitome of a perfect holiday breakfast. With an egg nog flavored custard, the baked french toast is finished with sauteed pears and sweet pomegranate seeds.
There is nothing more satisfying than waking up to the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg baking away in the oven during the Holiday season.
Eggnog is the theme of the day with an eggnog inspired custard for the thick challah to soak in.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, a bright zesting of orange zest and of course a good hefty shot of Brandy offers every single bite of my favorite Holiday flavors!
Pears and pomegranates are so gorgeous this time of year, the pears are ripe and sweet and the pomegranate seeds are so eye-catching and bright red, it's hard to resist.
As the eggnog french toast is resting after it's baked, quickly saute sliced pears in butter and brown sugar until they soften and then at the very last minute, sprinkle with gorgeous bright red seeds.
More great brunch ideas are:
Baked Eggnog French Toast with Sauteed Pears and Pomegranates
Eggnog French Toast
Sautéed Pears and Pomegranates
- 1 pear peeled, cored and sliced thin
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Tb butter unsalted
- 2 Tb brown sugar
- ¼ orange juiced
- Use the 1Tb butter to grease a medium sized, wide baking pan. Lay challah slices, slightly overlapping if need to.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the french toast ingredients. Everything from the heavy cream through salt. Whisk everything together very well and slowly pour over the challah bread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight if you have the time.
- Take the french toast out of the refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Recover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the topping gets crusty. When done, allow to rest.
- While french toast is resting, make the sauteed pears. In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Add pears and allow to cook until they begin to get soft, about 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Squeeze in orange juice and continue to stir. Turn off heat and add pomegranate seeds the last minute. Pour sauteed fruit over baked french toast.