A twist on a breakfast favorite, these are savory pancetta and cheddar waffles topped with garlic lemon compound butter and a fried egg! And a few extra dashes of hot sauce wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Leave it to me to want to savorify a classic sweet waffle! But I can't help it! Eggs, cheddar cheese and pork are some of my indulgent vices and I have been known to uhh..enjoy this late at night. And with extra hot sauce, thank you! Serve the savory waffles alongside something sweet, like a lemon Dutch baby pancake and you have yourself one delicious brunch!
You can really add anything you want to your waffles! Top them with sunny side up eggs or air-frier eggs to make this even easier! I was going for a classic ham and eggs approach this time and have ideas of adding hatch green chiles or maybe making a waffle Benedict? I could go on and on!
And the true gem of these waffles is the compound butter! Have you ever made your own compound butter before? Easy...so easy! Just soften butter and add any flavor you want! Garlic and lemon butter is always in this house! Talk about the perfect garlic bread for Sunday night spaghetti...you're welcome!
Savory Pancetta and Cheddar Waffles
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 1 Tb lemon zest
- 3-4 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 6 eggs 1 fried egg/serving
- Pre-heat waffle iron while you make waffle batter.
- If you haven't already, cook chopped pancetta on medium heat in a skillet until fully cooked and all fat is rendered. Remove from skillet when done and place on paper-towel lined plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine. Then add the milk, oil and eggs and whisk everything together until a thick but pourable batter forms. Then add pancetta, cheddar cheese and green onions and stir everything together.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and use a ladle to pour batter into iron. Cook waffle until iron says done or until golden brown.
- Top with slices of compound butter and a fried egg.
- To make compound butter, add together the softened butter, lemon zest and grated garlic adn stir together. Then wrap butter in plastic wrap and place back in refrigerator to firm up.