Steamed clams are cooked together with wine wine, garlic, a touch of butter and loads of fresh herbs. And have extra crusty bread ready to soak up the delicious broth.
There’s a short handful of meals I’ll ask for on big celebratory dinner nights. Either steamed mussels or steamed clams. I know, I’m a cheap date huh?
Leave me with a big bowl of steamed clams with garlic, white wine and maybe a touch of butter, some crusty bread and a tall glass of chilled pinot grigio and I am one happy, possibly slurpy, with buttery clam broth all over me-gal!
How to clean clams before cooking
Now before we get into the steaming, lets talk about how to properly clean clams first. Honestly, it takes longer to clean clams then to cook them, but worth it so you don’t bite into a hard piece of sand.
- Once you bring home the clams, place them on ice and leave in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them later (usually on the same day).
- 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook, place the clams in a large bowl of cold tap water. This help the clams spit out any sand that may be inside.
- Right when you’re ready to cook, use a small brush or towel to scrub the outside of each clam. Then, you’re ready to cook!
Steamed Clams with White Wine and Garlic
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small-medium sized shallot chopped finely
- 2-3 large garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional for heat
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 2 pounds littleneck clams cleaned and scrubbed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Small bunch of fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
- Begin by heating a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Cook until the butter is almost fully melted.
- Add the chopped shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until shallots just change color. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring everything together.
- Pour in white wine and add in the clams. Give everyone one good stir and cover skillet with a lid. Cook clams until they all open, about 7-9 minutes.
- Once done, turn off heat and add lemon juice and fresh herbs. Give everything one more good stir and serve with crusty bread.