Baked clams casino is a seafood classic. Fresh clams are steamed until just barely opened and then stuffed with a flavorful mixture of sauteed shallots, peppers, panko and Parmesan cheese. You won't be able to stop at just one!
Stuffed Clams Casino
Clams casino is a popular Italian-American recipe where fresh clams are steamed until just opened and combined with a handful of savory ingredients. Sauteed shallots and bell peppers are tossed with Panko and Parmesan. And this is the time to keep that lovely clam stock (you can also make a double batch of steamed clams and save the broth) to add to the mixture for even more clam flavor!
Then stuff clams with the mixture, bake and finish with a healthy grating of Parmesan cheese.
How to Clean Clams
Before we get into the steaming, let's talk about how to properly clean clams first. Honestly, it takes longer to clean clams then to cook them, but worth it so you don’t bite into a hard piece of sand.
- Once you bring home the clams, place the clams on ice and leave in the fridge until you’re ready to cook with later (usually on the same day).
- 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook, place the clams in a large bowl of cold tap water. This help the clams spit out any sand that may be inside.
- Right when you’re ready to cook, use a small brush or towel to scrub the outside of each clam. Then, you’re ready to cook!
Clams Casino Mixture
The clam stuffing is what makes this recipe so delicious!
- Canned Clams: For even more clam meat! I use this brand of canned clams and use the same canned clams in my linguini and clams recipe.
- Reserved Clam Liquid: Save some from steaming the clams or use the juice from the canned clams.
- Aromatics: Shallots, bell pepper, garlic and thyme.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: To bind and provide texture.
- Parmesan Cheese: Offers savoriness. Grate your own if you have a chunk of Parm.
A Few Tips on Cooking with Clams
- Discard any clams that are cracked or do not open after being cooked.
- Avoid overcooking and turn the heat off just as the clams open up.
- Clams are best made the same they they are bought, for freshness.
- Find clams with a larger shell which will be great for stuffing.
Baked Clams Casino
- 2 pounds littleneck clams larger ones, if possible
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup water
- 2 6 ounces canned clams drained and liquid reserved
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter seperated
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese + more for garnish
- Zest of 1 lemon save the rest for wedges
- 2 tablespoons reserved clam liquid
- Chopped Parsley leaves for garnish
- Start with prepping the clams by soaking the clams in water for at least 30 minutes. When you are ready to cook, scrub each clam to remove any outside debri and place in a clean bowl.
- Add clams to a small pot along with wine and water and bring everything to a simmer. Place a lid on the pot and cook until clams just open up, about 7-9 minutes.
- Once clams have opened, remove clams from pot and save liquid. Let the clams cool for a few minutes and remove the top shell. Use a spoon to scoop out clam meat and place on a cutting board and give the clam meat a rough chop. Add chopped clam meat to a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bring a small skillet to medium heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add minced shallots and bell pepper and sauté until just softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and fresh thyme and sauté for another minute and add mixture to chopped clam meat along with canned clam meat, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and lemon zest.
- Give everything a good mix and if the mixture is dry, add reserved clam liquid until just moistened.
- Fill each clam with clam mixture and dot clams with remaining butter. Place stuffed clams on a baking sheet and bake 18-20 minutes until breadcrumbs are toasted.
- Once done, remove from oven and garnish with fresh chopped parsley, additional grated Parmesan and lemon wedges.
This looks so good
They look so good! cannot wait to try this recipe!
Kalin Williams says
I've honestly never had clams before but this dish sounds incredible!
These were delicious! Also, thanks for the tip on cleaning, really helpful
Yummy! Thanks for all the great tips!