This easy and creamy tahini sauce is mixed with garlic, fresh lemon juice and spices…
A flavorful and colorful falafel bowl recipe filled with fresh greens, Israeli chopped salad, homemade falafel and finished with a cream y tahini yogurt sauce.
Falafel Bowl Recipe
Doesn’t everything taste better in a bowl? I am that person that loves to mix all the components together. The falafel with a bit of chopped salad and hummus. And the creamy tahini sauce over the chopped salad and feta cheese. Give me all the mediterranean bowl recipes, I’m here for it!
I kept this recipe more like a falafel salad bowl, simple and fresh.
- Salad greens
- Israeli chopped salad: chopped cucumbers and tomatoes tossed with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Homemade hummus
- Cubed feta cheese with oregano or dried mint
- Creamy tahini yogurt sauce
How to Make Homemade Falafel
I have a fantastic classic recipe for homemade falafel right here. But here is the gist of making falafel.
- Soak dried chickpeas for at least 8 hours and up to 36 hours in a large bowl of water.
- The chickpeas will double in size, then drain and pulse in a food processor until finely ground.
- Transfer to a bowl and in the same food processor, add fresh herbs, onion, garlic and spices and pulse until finely ground and add to the same bowl.
- Give everything a good mix and stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix everything until well combined.
- Form mixture into balls and fry in neutral oil (I like vegetable oil, grapeseed and/or avocado oil), until deeply golden brown on all sides.
- Remove falafel to a paper towel lined rack and finish with a sprinkle of salt.
- Use homemade falafel to make falafel bowls or make a falafel pita or in a falafel salad bowl.
What Sauce to Eat with Falafel?
Homemade tahini sauce is always my go to and sometimes I like to twist it up with a tahini yogurt sauce.
Tahini yogurt sauce couldn’t be easier, especially if you have a small food processor. Just blend tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and garlic until smooth. If the sauce is thick, add some warm water until thin enough to drizzle over falafel.
What to Serve with Falafel for Dinner?
- Lemon Herb Couscous
- Wrapped in a warm homemade pita with Turkish Sumac Onions
- Falafel on top of Lebanese Tabbouleh Salad
- Along side Heirloom Tomato Fattoush Salad
- With a dollop of my favorite Harissa Sauce
Mediterranean Falafel Bowl with Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 yellow onion cut in quarters
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley about 1 cup
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro about 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt + more for finishing
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons flour all-purpose or chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable grapeseed or avocado oil for frying
Israeli Chopped Salad
- 2 Persian cucumbers chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil dor drizzling
Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 garlic clove grated or chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup water for thinning consistency
- Add dried chickpeas to a large bowl of water and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight until almost doubled in size.
- Drain chickpeas and add to a food processor and pulse until finely ground, then transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same food processor, add the onion, garlic, herbs and spices and pulse until finely ground, then add the herbs mixture to the ground chickpeas and give a good stir.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and give everything a good mix until well incorporated.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with vegetable oil until it shimmers or to about 350 degrees. and form about a tablespoons worth of falafel mixture into a ball.
- Fry 4-6 falafel for for 3-5 minutes per side until deeply golden brown. Once done, remove to a paper towel lined rack and immediately sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- For the chopped salad, mix all of the ingredients together and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the tahini yogurt sauce, add all ingredients to a small food processor and blend until smooth. You can also whisk by hand. Add more or less water for desired consistency.
- To serve falafel bowls, add arugula or greens to the bottom of a bowl and arrange cubed feta and top with dried mint or za’atar. Add a dollop of hummus, drizzled with olive oil along with the chopped salad, falafel and good drizzle of tahini yogurt sauce.