I have been cooking out of my comfort zone the last few weeks; making spicy and flavorful authentic Asian soupsand buying ingredients that don’t have one single word of English. It’s great.
Thai Take Out-Take In! Spicy Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp
- 1 c mushrooms sliced
- 1/2-1 c red bell pepper chopped
- 1 in fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 3-inch stalk lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 3 c chicken stock
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1/2 lb cooked shrimp
- Small bunch green onion/chives chopped
- 1 lime cut in quarters
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat and add oil to pan. Add mushrooms, red bell pepper, ginger, garlic and lemongrass and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sriracha, stir and cook for another minute or two.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp to pot cook 1 minute or until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime and serve.