Thai take out, at home! This spicy Thai coconut soup is filled with aromatic flavors of lemon grass and curry, with shrimp and hearty mushrooms.
Spicy Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp
- 1 c mushrooms sliced
- ½-1 c red bell pepper chopped
- 1 in fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 3-inch stalk lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon sriracha
- 3 c chicken stock
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 Tb sugar
- ½ lb cooked shrimp
- Small bunch green onion/chives chopped
- 1 lime cut in quarters
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat and add oil to pan. Add mushrooms, red bell pepper, ginger, garlic and lemongrass and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sriracha, stir and cook for another minute or two.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp to pot cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime and serve.