Warm fall flavors are in the air with these roasted carrots with pomegranate. Cinnamon and allspice are whisked together with sweet maple syrup and tangy pomegranate molasses and lathered on top of rainbow carrots and sweet anjou pears. Once caramelized, the roasted carrots and pears are finished with pomegranate seeds and Aleppo pepper.
If you love the combination of sweet and savory, tangy and spicy, you will fall in love with these pomegranate roasted carrots and pears.
This post is being sponsored by USA Pears showcasing the diversity of pear recipes. Check out some of the other recipes I've done with them, pear fritters with orange glaze and pear crisp with pistachios.
Pomegranate Roasted Pears and Carrots
Colorful rainbow carrots and red anjou pears are tossed with the most delicious glaze, tangy pomegranate molasses, maple syrup for sweetness and warm spices of allspice and cinnamon.
This is the perfect side dish to pair alongside roasted spatchcock chicken or roast turkey with citrus and zaatar for Thanksgiving.
Rainbow Carrots: Carrots come in a variety of colors and the different colors lend to a slight difference in flavor. You can often find rainbow carrots around the fall season and if rainbow carrots are not available, use orange carrots with the stems still attached, which are more flavorful.
Red Anjou Pears: Anjou pears are slightly sweet and are in season at the start of fall in September. There is no need to peel the skin as they roast beautifully, holding onto their shape well.
Pomegranate Molasses: Is reduced and thickened pomegranate juice that is tart and thick like a molasses or honey. Pomegranate molasses is favorite ingredient in Mediterranean cooking and is used in a number of recipes such as drizzled over roasted kabocha squash or in a vinaigrette for tabbouleh salad.
Maple Syrup: Because pomegranate molasses is pretty tart, it goes well with sweet. Maple syrup offers a fall layer of flavor and goes well with the roasted pears, carrots and warm spices. If you don't have maple syrup, substitute honey.
Spices: Cinnamon and allspice are the warm spices in the recipe. Both goes very well with the tart pomegranate molasses and maple syrup, giving lovely fall flavors.
Pomegranate Seeds: Offers a pop of color and added at the end for garnish.
Aleppo Pepper: Another favorite ingredient and use din a number of Mediterranean recipes. Aleppo pepper is slightly sweeter and not as spicy as traditional Italian red pepper. If you don't have Aleppo pepper, use half the amount of Italian red pepper flakes or omit all together if you don't like any spice.
How to Make these Roasted Pears and Carrots
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees Fahrenheit and place carrots and pears on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Whisk the pomegranate molasses, maple syrup and spices together and pour over pears and carrots, tossing so everything is combined well.
- Roast the pears and carrots for 20 minutes until tender and just caramelized.
- Arrange carrots and pears on a platter and garnish with pomegranate seeds, fresh parsley, and Aleppo pepper.
A Few Tips and Substitutions
- If rainbow carrots are not available, use orange carrots.
- Look for carrots that still have the stems attached, which have more flavor and are sweeter.
- Cut larger carrots in half lengthwise so everything is about the same size.
- If maple syrup is not available, use honey.
Pomegranate Roasted Pears and Carrots
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots stems removed, large ones cut in half
- 2 Red Anjou pears cut into wedges and core removed
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Parsley leaves finely chopped for garnish
- Aleppo pepper for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut any thicker carrots in half, lengthwise and place carrots and pears onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, add pomegranate molasses, maple syrup, spices and olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over pears and carrots and toss to combine, so everything is evenly coated with the marinade.
- Roast carrots and pears in the oven for 15-20 minutes until just tender and lightly caramelized.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped parsley and Aleppo pepper.
Leave a Reply