A Thanksgiving recipe for all the picky eaters at the table. This roasted kabocha squash…
Colorful vegetables are tossed with tangy pomegranate molasses and honey before being roasted and caramelized, then finished with a good drizzle of creamy tahini sauce, pomegranate seeds and almonds.
Using Pomegranate Molasses in Recipes
Pomegranate molasses is a thick syrup made from reduced pomegranate juice. It has the consistency of molasses, it’s rich and dark and quite tangy.
We love cooking with pomegranate molasses and use it in a number of ways. Drizzling on roasted kabocha squash, or add to a vinaigrette and pomegranate molasses is one of the main ingredients in muhammara, a Turkish walnut and pepper dip that is outstanding.
Many grocery stores sell pomegranate molasses and you can also find it at Mediterranean/International stores and online.
Roasted Vegetables with Pomegranate Molasses
When pomegranate molasses is tossed with vegetables before roasting, the syrup sweetens slightly yet keeps it’s puckery tang.
Feel free to use in any sort of vegetable combinations. In this recipe, I used rainbow carrots, red onion and asparagus.
Toss vegetables with a good drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper and roast until vegetables are caramelized and just cooked through. Once the vegetables are roasted, toss with a mixture of molasses and a good drizzle of honey for extra sweetness.
Pomegranate Roasted Vegetables with Tahini
Roasted Vegetables (Use any you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely
- Pinch of cayenne
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup water for thinning consistency
- Salt and pepper
- Slivered almonds
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit whiel you prep the rest of the recipe
- Season vegetables and roast. Lay vegetables on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and roast in the oven at roast for about 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Mix pomegranate molasses and honey. While vegetables are cooking, mix pomegranate molasses and honey in a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the tahini sauce by adding tahini, lemon jucie, garlic, cayenne and olive oil and give everything a good pulse in a food processor. Add water and mix again and season with salt and pepper. You may add more water for a thinner consistency.
- Toss cooked vegetables with syrup. When vegetables are done, remove from oven and gently toss the pomegranate and honey mixture, coating everything.
- Garnish vegetables. Transfer vegetables to a serving dish and drizzle with tahini sauce and top with almonds and pomegranate seeds.
This post has been updated since 2014 with added nutritional information and clearer instructions.