Mediterranean roasted vegetables are a simple and flavorful side dish that is seasoned with a bold spice mix of za’atar, smoky paprika, garlic and earthy turmeric. Use this blend on any combination of vegetables for a big pop of flavor.
Mediterranean Spice Mix
If someone asked me what my goto spices were, it would be za’atar, paprika, garlic and turmeric. I know that when I use any combination of those spices, the flavors always come out absolutely delicious. The combination of the bright and earthy za’atar with the smoky and deep paprika is always a winner and I often use those in numerous recipes, such as in my salmon shawarma recipe.
Zaa’tar: A Mediterranean is blend on it’s own and there may be some differences depending on where you get it from. Usually, za’atar has dried thyme, sumac and sesame seeds. I like this brand for everyday use and I like to add extra sumac as well.
Paprika: Smoky paprika is my personal preference because I love the deepness it offers, but if you don’t like smoked flavors, sweet paprika would be fantastic in this blend.
Garlic Powder: I like using garlic powder for cut vegetables because it is able to coat everything evenly.
Turmeric: Another favorite spice of mine, turmeric is earthy and a little goes a long way. It not only offers an earthy aroma, but also a beautiful golden hue on anything it touches.
Eggplant, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower and red onion are the vegetables in this simple recipe. They all roast beautully, jjust make sure everything is roughly the same size.
I like to cut the cauliflower into smaller florets so the edges caramelize and get crispy. The red onion is also sliced on the thinner side so the sugars can caramelize zand onion softens and becomes alsmost candy like.
For the eggplant, I prefer to peel most of the thicker peel, exposing the tender vegetable so its able to soak up all the spices. And the cherry tomatoes are always a given when roasting, as they get sweeter and flavors more concentration.
Other vegetable options: zucchini, bell peppers, romanesco cauliflower and potatoes.
Other Recipes to Serve Alongside:
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables
- 2 globe eggplant peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 whole cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion sliced into thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Layer prepped vegetables on baking sheet in a single layer.2 globe eggplant, 1 whole cauliflower, 1 pint cherry tomatoes, 1 red onion
- Stir spice mix together and season vegetables with spices and drizzle with olive oil. Give everything a good toss so the vegetables are evenly and generously coated with the spices and olive oil.1 tablespoon za’atar, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt
- Roast vegetables for 30-35 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Once done, remove from oven and garnish with lemon juice and chopped parsley.