Thanksgiving recipes are a'coming! But keeping this one as simple as it gets, because, let's…
This will be your new favorite hummus! Sweet roasted beets and smoky cumin are added to homemade hummus creating the most stunning, vibrant and delicious creamy hummus.
Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus
There is no comparison to homemade hummus. A breeze to make, thanks to canned chickpeas and a food processor. There is a bit of prep in roasting the beets and if you have an extra few minutes, removing the skins from the chickpeas. Not completely necessary, but does create a fantastically creamy hummus.
Beet Hummus Ingredients
- Beets: large ones cut in half and roasted at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until a knife can smoothly go through. Then remove peel and add to recipe.
- Garlic: A few cloves of fresh garlic give just enough of a bite to compliment the sweet beets.
- Tahini: Sesame seed paste that is classic in hummus and really fantastic as a sauce on it’s own too.
- Cumin: My secret ingredient spice that goes so well with earthy beets. I use the same combination in my beet latkes too.
- Ice ice cold water: or an ice cube, which also helps the tahini become very smooth.
- Toppings: Olive oil, sumac, fresh herbs, feta cheese
Tips for Making Creamy Hummus
- If you have the time, peel the outer p[eels of the chickpeas. It takes time but the results are worth it.
- Add a few tablespoons of ice cold water or a few ice cubes which help the tahini become super creamy.
- Opt for roasting beets, which will be more more flavorful and sweeter.
Love Beets? Here Are A Few Other Beet Recipes To Try
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 2 Medium sized beets root cut off
- 15 ounce Can of chickpeas rinsed
- 1/4 cup Tahini paste
- 1-2 Garlic cloves grated
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Ice cold water may use more or less, depending on consistency
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and wrap each beet in foil. If the beets are very large, cut in half.
- Roast beets until you can easily slide a knife through, for about 40-45 minutes.
- Let beets cool, long enough to handle. Then peel beets and cut into quarters.
- In a food processor, add beets, chickpeas, tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and salt and blend together.
- Add ice cold water a little bit at a time until desired consistency. You may use less than 1/4 cup. Blend until smooth and taste for seasoning.
- Plate hummus in a shallow bowl and use the back of a spoon to make a well in the center. Then drizzle with olive oil and garnish with sumac, mint leaves, crumbled feta cheese and pomegranate seeds.
This post has been updated since April, 2013 with updated photos, nutritional info and re-tested recipe.