Confession: I am a bad blogger. Not the food part of it, I got that…
This colorful beet phyllo tart is an easy and impressive appetizer. Thinly sliced beets are layered on top of phyllo sheets and scattered with salty feta and fresh aromatic thyme.
Beets are one of my favorite root vegetables, and as I was skimming through my friend Julia’s new book, entitled The Ultimate One-Pan Oven Cookbook (affiliate link), I couldn’t resist this beautiful simple beet phyllo tart.
The Ultimate One-Pan Oven Cookbook is a must for Weeknight Meals!
The beet phyllo tart is a cinch to whip up. As Julia’s book represents, every recipe in her beautiful book is made in either one pan, dutch oven or roasting pan. Hello, easy clean up!
Some of my favorite recipes from The Ultimate One-Pan Oven Cookbook are roast chicken with dried fruit and hoison glazed salmon are all on my must make lists! Not to mention the numerous desserts and appetizers showcased in her colorful cookbook.
Easy prep: You don’t need to pre-cook the beets
What’s wonderful about this beet tart, is that you don’t have to pre-cook the beets. I found some beautiful colorful beets at the farmers market and was so excited to thinly slice them for this tart and really showcase their natural beauty.
Candy cane beets, bright golden beets and classic deep ruby red beets are thinly sliced raw and then scattered all over the phyllo sheets. The beautiful colors pop as they contrast against each other. Then you get even more of a pop of color with loosely scattered thyme leaves. A beautiful and impressive tart, this is.
And if you’re looking for more beet recipes, I got you covered!
I love beets and use them in a number of ways. While you’re slicing them for this beet phyllo tart, slice a few extra and make beet chips with labneh.
Or roast golden beets and add them to this quinoa beet and blood orange salad or this beet salad with goat cheese and orange vinaigrette.
And for a truly impressive dinner, this savory beet risotto looks delicious!
You can also upgrade your borscht game and create a duo of beet soups and make my red and yellow beet soup with fried beet greens.
Beet Phyllo Tart with Feta and Thyme
- 3 medium beets of various colors any combination of red, yellow and striped
- 6 phyllo sheets defrosted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese roughly crumbled
- Sea salt to taste
- Begin by pre-heating oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the beets well and slice beets very thinly using a mandolin and set aside on a plate.
- (*Tip: Slice the yellow before before the red one so you don't risk staining the lighter beets.)
- Unroll phyllo sheets and place 2 phyllo on a baking sheet. Brush all over with olive oil and then place two more sheets on top and brush with olive oil. Finally layer the last two phyllo on top and fold in the edges, making a border. Brush with olive oil so edges seal.
- Arrange beet slices on top of phyllo and brush everything with the rest of the olive oil.
- Scatter crumbled feta on top and some of the fresh thyme leaves and a good sprinkle of sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the phyllo is lightly golden brown.