Grab the pita bread because this loaded hummus is a true showstopper of flavors! Creamy homemade hummus is generously garnished with all the fresh and flavorful toppings including chopped salad, creamy feta cheese, olive oil and bold spices.
I made a double batch of this loaded hummus a few weeks ago for a friends party and everyone loved it!
When it comes to hummus, I have a base recipe I have been using for years with a few tweaks here and there.
The Best Loaded Hummus
This loaded hummus is topped with all the fresh toppings, including my crunchy flavor packed Israeli chopped salad, toasted pine nuts, crumbled feta cheese, chopped olives, fresh herbs and bold spices. For a fiery addition, you can also add a drizzle of fresh and spicy zhoug sauce.
Once you make the hummus, have fun with all the toppings! You can also make this into a spin on traditional hummus, roasted beet hummus or avocado hummus which will be your go to favorite with all the same toppings that would be absolutely gorgeous!
Tips for a Creamy Hummus
- Use canned beans but add them to a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes to soften the beans even more.
- Take the time to remove the outside chickpea peel, I promise this ensures a smooth hummus.
- Add a few ice cubes while mixing the hummus in a food processor. The ice makes the tahini ordered from amazon in the hummus so incredibly smooth.
Make Ahead Tips
- Hummus can easily be made ahead up to a week in advance.
- Add the fresh toppings the same day you're planning to serve.
- To make the loaded hummus ahead of time, keep the toppings and hummus seperate until you're ready to garnish and serve.
- The fresh herbs and chopped salad are the most delicate toppings in this recipe, so keep seperate until the day you're plating and serving.
What to Dip in (and serve with)Hummus
The best part of hummus is what to dip into it! Here are a few favorites.
- Of course, homemade pita bread which is also impressive to make.
- Fresh vegetables such as mini bell peppers, radishes, carrots and cherry tomatoes.
- Top the loaded hummus with grilled shish tawook.
- Add falafel and make a Mediterranean falafel bowl or serve alongside a falafel plate for a fun mezze spread!
More Mediterranean favorites
- If you have the time, add chickpeas to a pot of boiling water and boil for 20 minutes to soften the chickpeas even further.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and remove the outer chickpea peel.
- To a food processor, add the chickpeas, tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and salt and blend together.
- Add ice cold water a little bit at a time until desired consistency. You may use less than ¼ cup.
- Blend until smooth and taste for seasoning.
- Spread hummus onto a wide bowl and use the back of a spoon to create a well in the center.
- Top hummus with all the toppings, chopped salad, crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, a good drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of sumac and fresh mint.