Quinoa tabbouleh is a healthy and modern twist on the traditional tabbouleh salad with parsley, mint and a light dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
This post was originally a guest post for my friend Shaina over at Take a Bite Out of Boca. I love this recipe so much that I’m syndicating it on my blog as well!
The garden has been exploding with mint and parsley. Years ago I used to think I had a black thumb, but my beautiful herbs are proving me well.
One of my very, very first recipes on the blog was a more traditional taboulleh. If you dare go to this old recipe, don’t run away from the overly bright- I need sunglasses before I go blind-photo. We all come from humble beginnings, and this was certainly the beginning of my food photography.
Tabbouleh Salad is a delicious, hearty and fresh salad that is traditionally made with bulgar, chopped parsley and tomatoes. A simple dressing of olive oil and lemon juice is tossed with everything for added brightness. I love using quinoa, one, because I always have it in my pantry and it offers a different layer of flavor and nuttiness.
What to serve with Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
Tabbouleh is a fabulous accompaniment to grilled meats such as grilled kofta with eggplant or homemade falafel stuffed in a pita! And a spoonful of tabbouleh with smoky baba ghanoush is one of my favorite bites ever!
Quinoa Tabbouleh with Mint and Lemon
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup olive oil + more for drizzling
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of parsley chopped
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh mint chopped
- 2-3 medium tomatoes seeded and chopped
- Begin by cooking the quinoa. Bring 2 cups of water or vegetable stock to a boil and pour in quinoa. Lower the heat to a simmer and place a lid on the pot and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- When done, fluff the quinoa with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- While the quinoa is cooling, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest and juice and salt and pepper.
- Bring the salad all together by adding the cooled quinoa, chopped parsley, mint and chopped tomatoes together in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and mix well to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.