Summer is in the air today and I can hear the waves crashing just a…
The perfect fall apple cake, seasoned with floral and earthy cardamom, bright orange zest and loaded with chunks of sweet apples. And perfect to serve alongside your favorite warm drink.
Apple and Cardamom
A true match made in cooking heaven. The whiff of earthy and floral cardamom is intoxicating and pairs so incredibly well with sweet apples.
Cardamom can become intense so use sparingly as I did in this recipe. There is just enough without being overpowering.
Apple Cake Ingredients
All Purpose Flour: I’ve tried making this with almond flour for fun, but it didn’t have the structure AP does. Though, if you would like a gluten free option, I am sure an all purpose GF flour would work great, such as Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour.
Sugar: Both white and brown sugar are used, giving the apple cake a big more richness. I’ve made this with both light and brown and personally prefer the darker brown sugar.
Neutral Oil: Even though I love olive oil, it’s too fruity for a spiced cake such as this. Grapeseed oil is what is used in this recipe, though vegetable oil would work well too.
Orange: Both the zest and juice are added and pair so well with the flavors of brown sugar, apples and spices.
Vanilla: Because there are so few ingredients in this recipe, I go for the really good spice. And a little goes a long way. Vanilla paste is thicker, almost like a honey, compared to vanilla extract and has beautiful specks on vanilla. I truly believe vanilla paste gives baked good great depth of flavor. It’s an investment but vanilla paste will last a while and be worth it in simple recipes like this.
Apples: Peeled honeycrisp apples are used in this recipe. They are not overly sweet but not tart and hold their shape. I could eat these all days long.
Spices: Cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice give the entire apple cake fantastic earthy floral notes. I like to grate my own nutmeg but honestly, use what you have.
A Few More Apple recipe to Try:
Cardamom Apple Cake
- 3 cups peeled cored and chopped honeycrisp apples, about 4-5 medium sized apples)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Powdered sugar optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 inch spring form pan with oil or butter. Line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar and toss together. Set aside while you make the rest of the recipe.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and spices and set aside.
- In anotehr bowl, whisk the grapesseed oil, eggs, sugars, orange zest and juice and vanilla paste. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and add the apples with all their juices.
- Give everything a good stir and pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. At 40 minutes, take a peek and use a toothpick or knife to check for doneness by sticking the knife into the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s ready. If there is batter, bake for a little longer.
- Let the apple cake cool slightly before cutting into it. Lightly dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- This can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.