After indulging and eating non-stop for the past 48 hours, I thought a bit of healthy flavors were in order. Enter this gorgeous Mediterranean flavored lentil stuffed delicata squash! You may have noticed all the sweets I’ve been sharing and we still have some pumpkin souffle left. Between Halloween and my birthday, a wholesome detox of some sorts is definitely in order!
It’s no surprise that my absolute favorite squash is delicata squash! It is so tender and buttery and the skin becomes soft and palatable. I usually cut it into rings and roast it, but I thought stuffing it instead would be the perfect vessel. Mediterranean lentil stuffed delicata squash is a beautiful filling side dish and packed full of flavor!
Black lentils are cooked with deep spices of cumin and sumac (which is found in zaatar) and topped with a spicy zhoug and creamy yogurt feta sauce. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice to brighten those deep spices for a lovely contrast.
I am so glad I paired up with the #SundaySupper crew again because goodness knows that I need some lightened up fair after the non-stop indulgences I’ve been having!
How will you “lighten” up the Holidays?
Here is some inspiration!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash #SundaySupper
- 1 delicata squash cut in half vertically and seeds removed
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp sumac or zaatar if you have it
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 cup dried black lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Lemon wedges
- For spicy Zhoug click Here
- First pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly drizzle olive oil over squash. Roast in oven for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly carmelized.
- While squash is cooking, prepare the lentils. In a large skillet, sautee onion in olve oil until transulsent, about 6-7 minutes. Then add garlic and spices (cumin, coriander, sumac and cayenne) and cook for about 1 minute until garlic softens and spices are mixed with the oil.
- Next, rinse black lentils and remove any bad ones. Add lentils to skillet with 3 cups of stock. Bring to a boil and then decrease heat so that the stock is at a constant simmer. Place a lid on the skillet and allow to cook about 30-40 minutes or until all the liquid is used up and lentils are tender.
- Check the lentils every so often and stir them around ever 10 minutes or so.
- When done, season with salt and pepper.
- To make the yogurt and feta sauce, simply add the 2 together in a food processor (or you can do it by hand) and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Spoon lentils into the cavity of the squash and top with spicy zhoug and drizzle of yogurt-feta sauce. Top with pomegranate seeds.