Stuffed delicata squash is filled bold Mediterranean flavors cumin seasoned lentils and topped with cool yogurt, sallt feta and spicy zhoug (optional, but why not?). Sweet pomegranate seeds are also added for a pop of color and sweetness against the other warm flavors.
Stuffed Delicata Squash
It’s no surprise that my absolute favorite squash is delicata squash! It is so tender and buttery and the skin becomes soft and palatable. I usually cut it into rings and roast it, but I thought stuffing it instead would be the perfect vessel.
Black lentils are cooked with deep spices of cumin and sumac and topped with a spicy zhoug and creamy yogurt feta sauce. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice to brighten those deep spices for a lovely contrast.
Delicata Squash Cooking Tips
- Don’t peel the delicata squash, the peel is so tender and softens after roasting.
- Scoop out the seeds before roasting the delicata squash.
- Evenly rub oil all over the squash so it cooks evenly.
- To check if the squash is done, stick a knife through it and if it can easily go through, it’s ready.
Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash #SundaySupper
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil seperated
- 1 delicata squash cut in half vertically and seeds removed
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried black lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock low sodium, preferred
- 1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over squash. Roast delicata squash for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly caramelized.
- While squash is cooking, prepare the lentils. In a large skillet, saute chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and spices (cumin, coriander, sumac and cayenne) and saute for 1 minute until garlic softens and spices are mixed with the oil.
- Rinse black lentils and remove any bad ones. Add lentils to skillet with 3 cups of stock. Bring to a boil then down to a simmer. Place a lid on the skillet and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the yogurt and feta together until creamy. You can do this in a food processor or blender or in a bowl. Set aside.
- To serve, Spoon lentils into the cavity of the squash and top with spicy zhoug and drizzle of yogurt-feta sauce. Top with pomegranate seeds, drizzle of olive oil and lemon wedges.