Follow my blog with Bloglovin Happy Passover everyone! About a week ago some of my…
Oh hi friends, it’s been a minute ( know, I’ve said that a few times these last few months). But I am happy to say that regular blogging shalt continue, because…I JUST turned in my manuscript!! I have all the feels from anxiety to nerves to exhaustion to excitement! There’s lots more to do but this was definitely a huge milestone.
But this isn’t about me. Today I’m chatting about one of my favorite bloggy friends new cookbook! Liz from The Lemon Bowl was one of the first women I met in this blogging world and I always felt like we hit it off because we have a sincere love for Mediterranean food and she’s just awesome.
Liz comes form a Jewish Lebanese family and shares gorgeous Lebanese recipes. I’ve had this sfeeha on my bucket list for years and I promise this holiday season it’s happening.
Because she is also part of a multi-cultural family, she took on this passion project and created a series of cookbooks, documenting Sunday night family dinners, called Food From Our Ancestors: The Ultimate Sunday Dinner. Each book illustrates a different cuisine, such as Mexican, Italian and Jewish, with personal and touching stores from her family and very close friends that are like family.
Today we are showcasing a peasant dish called hushwee. A very simple beef saute with onions and pine nuts, and cooks in nearly minutes. Last night we enjoyed it for dinner over creamy tahini and salad and za’atar pita bread and we gobbled it up. Simplicity at it’s best.
I did add my own spin on this (hope you don’t mind, Liz) and added chopped garlic and a touch of smoky paprika since I’ve been obsessed lately. Its warm and slightly smoky and deliciously savory with the toasted pine nuts and onions.
Here are the e-cookbooks and I highly recommend investing in the bundle. There are so many personal recipes from her family that are just too beautiful for words.
- The Ultimate Syrian Sunday Dinner ($3.99): https://gumroad.com/l/cahid
- Bundle of All Four ($12.99 – a huge value!): https://gumroad.com/l/yFImK
Lebanese Hushwee with Tahini
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil + more for garnish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp paprika + more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Parsley or mint for garnish
- Spread tahini on serving dish and set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add butter and olive oil and ground beef. Cook meat until almost fully cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped onion adn continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes so the onions start to soften. If there is any risidual fat, drain that and discard.
- Add chopped garlic and spices and mix everything together. Add the pine nuts and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes so the flavors blend. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Once done, spoon hushwee over creamy tahini and garnish with fresh chopped herbs and an extra drizzle of olive oil and paprika, if you wish.