One Pot Sazon Chicken with Black Beans has strong Puerto Rican flavors of sazon and sofrito all braised and simmered together in one pot!
This one pot sazon chicken recipe has been on a constant rotation in the Ferraro house ever since I discovered sazon mix. I put my sazon seasoning on everything! Beans, chicken, soups, meats, it is amazing! And the color that the achiote gives off is glorious! Bright, golden yellow with red undertones...just beautiful.
I am quite serious when I say this is a true one pot dinner, though I do serve it with rice on the side because it's the perfect accessory for all that extra sauce you'll want to mop up. First, the chicken is seared until golden with a helping dose of sazon seasoning and then everything else is added in, black beans, a few tablespoons of sofrito (which I keep in frozen cubes when needed for dishes like this), tomatoes and a bit of stock. Step away for 40 minutes and let all those Puerto Rican flavors simmer together. Garnish with a bit of fresh cilantro and trust me when I say this tastes even better the next day!
One Pot Sazon Chicken with Black Beans
- 2 chicken breasts skin on, bone in (organic and free-range always preferred)
- 2 chicken thighs skin on, bone in
- 1-2 drumsticks depending on how large your pan is, skin on, bone in
- 3 Tb sazon seasoning Recipe here!
- ½ of a small onion chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans drained of most of the liquid
- 3 Tb sofrito
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes seeded and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¾ cup chicken stock divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- Firstly, grab your widest skillet and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Not too much, since the chicken will give off it's own fat and begin to heat on medium-high heat.
- Then, season your chicken with sazon, salt and pepper on both sides until generously covered.
- Place chicken, skin side down in the hot skillet, It should automatically sizzle. Cook on first side for about 3-4 minutes until skin is golden brown then flip over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes until golden brown. Once ready, remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes until translucent and add garlic and continue for another minute, stirring into the chicken fat and leftover seasoning in the pan.
- Pour in about ¼ of chicken stock and deglaze the pan, scraping off any bits from the bottom. Allow to reduce for a minute or 2 on medium-high heat.
- Then stir in tomato paste, add chopped tomatoes, sofrito, can of black beans, the rest of the chicken stock and season everything with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken back in the pan, skin side up, making sure chicken is nestled in and skin still exposed. Cover and bring up to a boil, the reduce to a low simmer and cook chicken for about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes to sauce can reduce.
- When done, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice if you'd like.