A hearty and smoky vegetarian shakshuka recipe loaded with sauteed kale, mushrooms and peppers. The tomato is seasoned with deep spices of cumin and paprika and once the dish is just done cooking, everything is topped with creamy feta and lots of fresh herbs.
Breakfast may be one of my favorite meals of the day and it will always be savory for me! Give me all the spicy chorizo breakfast taco and I am one happy gal!
Vegetable Shakshuka with Feta
If you love a hearty vegetarian breakfast dish, you will love this vegetable shakshuka. Full of sautéed kale, peppers and mushrooms and of course, highly customizable.
The shakshuka base is smoky and condensed and the tomatoes are sweet and and just enough cumin to bring a bit of warmth. Then top the finished dish with roughly crumbled feta and let the warmth of the shakshuka slowly melt the cheese. And don't forget a good amount of crusty bread to sop up the decadent sauce too. And for an outstanding flavorful brunch, I highly recommend serving with a sweet lemon Dutch baby pancake!
- Olive Oil
- Fresno or Serrano Pepper
- Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Kosher Salt
- Tomato Paste
- Smoked Paprika
- Can Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
- Everything Spice
Shakshuka with Kale, Mushrooms and Feta
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 1 fresno or serrano pepper seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped kale or sub spinach
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 14.5 ounce can of whole tomatoes or sub crushed tomatoes
- 4 whole eggs
- ½ cup cubed feta cheese
- Fresh parsley stems removed and chopped
- Fresh cilantro stems removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted bread
- 2 tablespoons Everything spice for bread
- Place a medium sized skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add chopped shallot, fresno and bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes, until vegetables just soften.
- Add sliced mushrooms and continue sauteing for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are slightly caramelized. Add chopped kale and garlic and saute until kale wilts. Season vegetables with salt.
- Stir in tomato paste and spices and saute for another 30 seconds. Pour in tomatoes and if using whole canned tomatoes, roughly break them up and squeeze them with youre hands. Give everything one more good stir.
- Use the back of a spoon to make four wells into the sauce. Crack one egg into each well, leaving the yolk exposed and bring temperature down to a constant simmer.
- Cook eggs for 5-7 minutes or until desired doneness. You may need to cover the pan with a lid to help cook the tops of the eggs moe evenly.
- Once done, immediately top with feta cheese while it's still hot. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and serve with toasted bread topped with everything spice.