I am vowing myself to only make the most delicious salads. #NoMoreWimpySalads will be my…
If you asked someone what the top food trend was in 2016, I am sure they would answer shakshuka! A North African/Mediterranean poached egg and tomato dish that has most recently gone viral in the food world.
To be honest, I didn’t not grow up on shakshuka, but I have heard there is still war going out as to where shakshuka was originally created. I do know that shakshuka has traveled all throughout the Middle East and North Africa and now into North America for us to enjoy.
I am so excited to announce that I am partnering with an amazing new Kickstater that is launching TODAY!
Now you all know that I LOVE to cook. I love to to prep and buy ingredients as a whole and list them accordingly. But once in while, I am actually a “normal” person and buy something that is a little more time savvy and helpful when it comes to cooking. (Hello chopped kale!)
Shakshuka base is typically tomatoes, peppers (either hot or sweet or both) and smoky spices such as cumin and paprika. Pantry to Pan has taken all of these gorgeous deep flavors and melded them into an insanely delicious product. You literally pour the mixture into your skillet, crack a few eggs and cook for 10 minutes. Oh, and don’t forget the toasted bread. There is nothing more delicious than scooping a bit of running yolk and savory shakshuka onto some toasted bread. Complete heaven!
The shakshuka base is smoky and condensed, so the tomatoes are sweet and sultry and just enough cumin to bring a bit of warmth.For this recipe, I kept it simple and filling, adding chopped kale, sliced mushrooms and topping this amazing kale shakshuka with salty feta and lots of fresh herbs.
I still have another jar and have so many ideas with it…maybe poached fish or chicken? Or shakshuka pizza?? Oh..that is happening!
Pantry to Pan’s kickstarter started TODAY and is going from March 22 2017-April 22 1017. I would love if you stopped by, check it out…and let’s have a shakshuka party, shall we?
Kale Shakshuka with Feta and Herbs
- Shakshuka base from Pantry to Pan
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 4 oz . sliced mushrooms
- 3-4 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese roughly cubed
- Fresh parsley stems removed and chopped
- Fresh cilantro stems removed and chopped
- Toasted bread
- Everything spice (for bread
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and saute chopped kale and mushrooms until slightly softened over medium heat.
- Next add shakshuka base (about 2 cups) and cook for 2 minutes so all the flavors get blend together.
- Use a spoon to make indents in the mixture and crack your whole eggs into the shakshuka. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Place pan in oven and cook for about 10 minutes until eggs are just set (or to desired doneness).
- once done, remove from oven and immediately top with feta cheese while it's still hot. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and serve with toasted bread topped with everything spice.