When you need to whip up a quick salad, this one is a favorite. Chopped kale is massaged with a bright and creamy tahini dressing and savory chickpeas. The perfect kale salad for when you want something quick and incredibly delicious. Also holds up for a day or so very well!
Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
We’re going to keep this one short and sweet. I may be one of those persons that says “I love salads!”, but it has to be a GOOD salad. It needs texture and layers, crunch and pops of flavor.
This kale salad is hearty, flavorful and the tahini dressing is ultra creamy! But the trick to an enjoyable raw kale salad….massage the kale! Kale can sometimes be difficult to enjoy, texture wise and just needs a bit of acid and clean hands to break up some of it’s fibrous leaves.
Creamy Tahini Dressing
There are a slew of tahini recipes on the site and a tahini dressing is really a riff off of tahini sauce, just add a bit more water for a drizzable consistency.
Chopped Kale and Chickpea Salad with Creamy Tahini Dressing
- 4 cups Lacinato or Dino kale chopped or shredded
- 13 ounce Can of chickpeas rinsed
- 3 Persian cucumbers peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Vine-tomatoes seeded and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Small bunch of fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove chopped or grated
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- ½-1 cup cup water
- To make the dressing, add all of the tahini dressing ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more water depending on consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- In a large bowl add the chopped kale and start with 1/4 worth of the dressing and use clean hands to massage dressing into the kale.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and mix to combine so the dressing coats everything. Add more tahini dressing if desired and serve.
This post was originally published in January 2014 and updated in April, 2021 with added nutritional information and other helpful tips.