I have a beautiful and simple pesto recipe for you. Full of almonds, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, I could slather this basil almond pesto on anything!
Summer is here and so is our abundance of fresh basil. And yes, it is easier to buy pesto from the store but there is nothing like the bright flavors of homemade pesto.
I love having different dips, salsas, and sauces to serve alongside summer dinners and I have plans to slather my grilled branzino with a good amount of almond pesto. How good does that sound?
Instead of using traditional pine nuts, toasted almonds are substituted offering a nuttier and heartier texture.
Basil Almond Pesto Variations
Pesto is one of those recipes where you can have fun with variations and substitutions. Here are a few suggestions.
- Substitute arugula for basil for a spicier flavor and make arugula pesto.
- Swap or add spinach to the pesto.
- Substitute Pecorino cheese for Parmesan for a slightly saltier and sharper flavor.
Slather this Pesto on Anything
I could slather this almond pesto on absolutely anything and everything.
- Spread a thin layer on this spring pizza with asparagus and lemon zest.
- And on this heirloom tomato galette.
- Toss a few tablespoons in this lemony couscous salad.
- Serve this almond pesto alongside heirloom tomato focaccia to dip into.
- Serve with grilled meats and grilled vegetables.
- Toss a few tablespoons into pasta.
Basil Almond Pesto
- In a food processor, pulse the whole almonds and 1 garlic clove until all are ground well.
- Add basil, parmesan cheese and olive oil and pulse together until well incorporated, but don't over mix.
- Taste for seasoning. Add additional olive oil if needed.