Ok guys….it’s time to get healthy-fied up in here.
I am still in Pittsburgh and so far have have stuffed myself with the famous Primantis sandwich! Which if you don’t know, is a traditional sandwich shop all throughout Pittsburgh. Their sandwiches have the french fries IN the sandwich, with fillings of either keilbasa or pastrami or cheese-take.
It’s pretty awesome, but also pretty heavy. Which is why….it’s time to get healthy-fied.
Why am I in Pittsburgh??? Well….my gf is getting marriiieddd!!!!! Like…tomorrow!!! Apparently it’s a Pittsburgh tradition to have lots and lots and lots of cookies at weddings! We have trayed over 31 cookies and more are coming! Biscotti and pizzelles and thumbprints and sugar cookies…it was nuts! You can find some of the fun pics on my Instagram!
But because I am too excited…here is what went down on “cookie tray” day!
Pretty nuts huh? So with all of the Primantis goodness and cookies coming out of my ears….I need a giant green, Kale salad!
I made this delicious and easy salad right before I left. It’s hearty, flavorful and the dressing is ultra creamy! Chopped kale with a can of chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumbers make it a crunchy and super easy to throw together salad. I was also in the mood for a creamier dressing than the standard vinaigrette, so I pulsed together tahini with lemon, garlic and cumin to create a quick and hearty salad.
Yields 4 servings
- 2 cup kale, chopped
- 1 Can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 Persian cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Small bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 3 Tb tahini
- ½ c water
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 lemon, zest and juiced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients.
- To make the dressing, add all of the tahini dressing ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired.
- Toss salad with tahini dressing and serve.