A Turkish staple, Sephardic spinach pie has cooked wilted spinach, eggs and feta cheese all cooked together creating a savory and cheese souffle casserole.
I grew up on this Turkish Sephardic spinach pie as a kid and every once in a while, will revisit the recipe because it is just so easy to whip up.
The ingredients are simple yet create the most fantastic, savory, salty pie that puffs up gently like a souffle and is perfect for a weekend brunch.
Sephardic Spinach Pie has Simple Ingredients
Spinach: you can use fresh and cooked spinach or frozen spinach for this recipe. If you are using frozen, defrost completely and ring out most of it’s water so the pie doesn’t get soggy.
Eggs: whole eggs give the savory pie richness and a souffle texture.
Cheeses: Feta and Parmesan are the main cheeses here, and ricotta would work great as well.
Breadcrumbs: Helps bind everything together. Use whatever you have, including regular Italian breadcrumbs (without seasoning), panko breadcrumbs and even matzo meal.
How to Make Savory Spinach Pie
Lightly oil a 4 x 6 square pan (or round or rectangular of similar size…anything you have) and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add cooked spinach, eggs, cheeses and breadcrumbs (or matzo meal) and mix together. ( At this point, I am not adding any salt since the feta and Parmesan are salty already but you could add freshly cracked black pepper).
Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in a 375 Fahrenheit oven for about 40 minutes until puffed up and lightly golden brown on top. You can also insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
Let cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Other Favorite Turkish Recipes
Sephardic Spinach Pie
- 6 cups cooked spinach or frozen, squeezed of excess water (2 bags of frozen spinach)
- 6 eggs whisked
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese roughly crumbled
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese + more for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked and cooled spinach, eggs, breadcrumbs, feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Mix well but gently. Add salt and pepper paying careful attention to salt due to the feta and Parmesan.
- Using a 4X6 rectangular baking pan (or equivalent in size), drizzle olive oil in bottom of pan. Use a paper towel or pastry brush to smear the olive oil all over the bottom and sides of pan.
- Pour spinach mixture into pan, evening it out. Top with freshly grated Parmesan and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes, uncovered. Test with a toothpick when done. If it comes out clean, its ready.
Post was updated 4/2020 with added notes and nutritional information.