Spice up your Thanksgiving leftovers with aguadito, aka a flavorful Peruvian cilantro soup made with turkey, potatoes and rice.
So with all the leftover turkey we had after our obligatory gorge extravaganza, I really wanted to spice things up. We kept all the bones and made a huge batch of turkey stock which is now happily in freezer bags. (That is a MUST with bones...keep them!)
Soup sounded perfect but I craved something spicy to knock off the impeding sniffles that were coming. This Peruvian cilantro soup did the trick! Normally made with chicken (aguadito de pollo), turkey became the perfect substitute (aguadito de cava).
The gorgeous green hue is thanks to a blend of aji amarillo paste, cilantro, parsley, onions and garlic. Blend to a deep green and add that to your soup base. Not only a bit spicy, but aguadito is full of texture with rice, potatoes, peas and corn. Really, if you have leftover veggies, throw those in too!
Peruvian Cilantro and Turkey Soup (Aguadito de Cava)
- 2 red yellow or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- ½ cup white rice uncooked
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1 cup cooked turkey meat cubed or shredded
- 1 cup peas I used frozen
- 1 cup corn I used frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Lime wedges for garnish
- First make the paste. In a food processor or blender, add all of the paste ingredients. Blend until smooth and deep green. Set aside.
- To make the soup, in a large pot, saute chopped bell pepper and carrots in olive oil until begins to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice and toss in the oil. Then add cumin and pour in cilantro paste, mixing everything together to coat the rice.
- Next, add potatoes, turkey and and turkey stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes and rice are tender.
- When potatoes are tender, then add the frozen corn and peas, which will cook very quickly. Ladle into bowls and garnish with lime wedges.