A hearty and smoky vegetarian shakshuka recipe loaded with sauteed kale, mushrooms and peppers. The…
If there was a salad I could eat every single day, it would be this kale cranberry salad with almonds, apples and feta. The trick is to massage the maple Dijon dressing into the fibrous greens to really soften the kale. Then toss in crisp apples, salty feta, toasted almonds and sweet cranberries to bring all the flavors together.
Kale Cranberry Feta Salad
I have been on a kale kick to use up the rest of my harvest from our garden. Usually I’ll saute kale for a simple kale pasta or stuff it between buttered phyllo for borekas, but this time I was crazing a hearty and flavorful fall’ish salad.
Shredded kale is massaged with a slightly sweet and acidic maple Dijon dressing and tossed with tart dried cranberries, salty feta and savory almonds. For added sweetness and crunch, I sliced an apple into matchsticks and the combination of the salty, creamy, crisp and savory is outstanding.
The trick to a tender kale salad is massaging the kale. Kale can be fibrous and tough and it needs a bit of help.
- Cut the kale leaves into shreds, which will help break down the toughness and offer a better mouth feel.
- Get your (clean) hands in there and massage the dressing into the leaves, so all of the leaves are evenly coated and begin to soften.
- You can also dress and massage the kale ahead of time. Since kale is hearty enough to hold up for hours ahead of serving.
Kale Cranberry Salad with Apples and Feta
Maple Dijon Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch of kale stems removed and shredded
- 1 apple cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 4 ounces feta cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Start by making the maple dressing and add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake for 30 seconds until dressing is emulsified. You can also do this in a bowl and whisk everything together. Set aside.
- Add shredded kale to a large bowl and pour a few tablespoons of the dressing onto the kale. Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale, breaking up the leaves a bit to really work the dressing in. The greens should be lightly and evenly coated with the dressing.
- Add the sliced apple, dried cranberries, almonds and feta and give everything a good toss.
- Serve kale salad and garnish with extra almonds or feta if desired.