Crunchy Asian Cabbage Slaw with a sweet, gingery and slightly spicy peanut sauce. This will be your new favorite crunchy salad!
Introducing you to my new favorite crunchy addiction. Today is the start of Purim, and as I am supposed to be drinking like a fish (pineapple ginger mojito, anyone?) and baking hamantaschen all day to celebrate, I, in my most appropriate fashion am going on the other end of the spectrum and sharing this insanely delicious, crunchy, fresh Asian style cabbage slaw.
We eat a lot of cabbage in this house, sometimes in cabbage roll form or our favorite way is sliced thin and mixed with Greek yogurt and lime juice when we have any sort of enchiladas or tacos. I still have yet to try roasted cabbage and I hear that roasting it makes the cabbage crispy and charred on the outside with a gorgeous caramelized flavor, so I can't wait to try it that way!
With all the richer things we have been having lately and because it's been either raining, gloomy or snowing, we are craving some freshness. A leftover half a head of cabbage was the perfect reason to whip up a batch of this crunchy salad and have it for the week. I used my favorite peanut dressing and the same one in my peanut soba noodle with edamame recipe that is always a winner. The combination of creamy peanut butter, spicy sriracha and fresh ginger is a total flavor winner.
To leave it extra crisp, make the dressing on the side and toss together right before servings or in the morning when making lunch. It will hold up for the day but may get a bit soggy if left longer.
Also, I used what I had on hand in my fridge and cupboard, but I think this would be delicious with the addition of cubed avocado, diced pineapple or for added protein, shredded chicken.
Crunchy Asian Cabbage Slaw with Peanut Dressing
- ½ head green cabbage shredded or sliced thin
- ¼ head red cabbage shredded or sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into thin strips
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro hard stems removed
- 1 small bunch fresh mint leaves stems removed
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ in piece ginger peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 lime zest and juice
- Few table spoons water to thin out sauce if needed
- In a large bowl, add together the shredded cabbages, sliced bell pepper, toasted almonds and fresh herbs. Set aside.
- To make the salad dressing, in a food processor or blender, add together all the dressings ingredients and blend until smooth.
- You may need to add a bit of water to thin out the consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Spoon dressing over salad and toss to combine. Add about ½ of the dressing first and if you need more add as much you'd like.
- Serve with lime wedges for added freshness.
This is what dreams are made of. :O
Couldn't agree more!! Thanks Kimberly 🙂