Savory hamantaaschen with six different 'around the world' fillings, including a pizza hamantaschen, everything bagel hamantaschen and so much more!
Hamantaschen for Purim
For Purim, many of us make the traditional sweet Hamantaschen, think of it as a triangle shaped thumbprint cookie. But really, anything triangle shaped, which represents the hat that Haman wore.
But what Purim is really meant for...the party! And what better way then making your own hamantaschen bar at home with all sorts of fun filling ideas.
Savory Hamantaschen (with Six Different Fillings)
I love having fun with flavors and playing with an "around the world theme". So here are six around the world savory hamantaschen fillings to get you inspired.
Everything Bagel Hamantaschen: Smoked salmon cut into small pieces, cream cheese, capers and everything bagel spice.
Boreka Hamantaschen: Inspired from my Turkish spinach borek, fill with frozen and defrosted spinach (chopped finely), crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts.
Pizza Hamantaschen: Marinara sauce, cubed mozzarella cheese and oregano.
Mediterranean Hamantaschen: Chickpeas, harissa, spinach and lemon zest.
French Hamantaschen: Caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, Herbes de Provence and goat cheese.
Mexican (Inspired) Hamantaschen: Refried beans and cheddar cheese and after baking, top with guacamole and salsa.
Have Fun with the Fillings
This is the time to use all those random leftovers that you have, such as roasted vegetables or random spices you've been meaning to use.
You can even make a hamantaschen bar with sweet fillings, such as different jams or chocolates, sprinkles and fruits.
Gluten free Hamantaschen
Savory Hamantaschen with Six Different Fillings
Everything “Bagel” Hamantaschen
- ½ cup of frozen and defrosted spinach squeezed of excess moisture and chopped finely
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pine nuts
- 1//2 cup cooked or canned chickpeas drained
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- Wilted spinach
- Lemon zest
- ¼ cup canned refried beans
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped tomatoes and/or salsa
- Start with the dough by adding flour and salt to a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the butter and pulse a few times until it looks like small peas.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice and
- water and add this to flour mixture and blend until dough forms into a ball.
- Using very floured hands, form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes and Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once dough is ready, cut dough in half and roll out to about 9 inches in diameter or about ¼ inch thickness.
- Use a 3 inch round cookie cutter and cut out circles. Any leftover dough can be rolled out again to cut out more circles.
- Fill each circle with more more than ½-3/4 teaspoon filling each, leaving a border so they are not overfilled.
- Once filled, pinch the three corners around the hamantaschen very well and place hamantaschen on baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or until dough is lightly golden brown.
Everything Bagel Hamantaschen
- In a small bowl, mix the smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers and fill hamantaschen with ½ teaspoon of filling. Once filled and sealed, sprinkle everything bagel spice on the outside of the hamantaschen.
- Mix chopped spinach and feta cheese together and fill hamantaschen. Top with pine nuts.
- Fill each hamantaschen with ½-3/4 teaspoon of marinara sauce and 1-2 cubes of mozzarella cheese and top with oregano.
- In a bowl, toss the chickpeas, harissa and spinach together and fill hamantaschen and garnish with fresh lemon zest.
- Drizzle a sauté pan with oil over medium heat and add sliced onions. Cook onions until softened and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and continue sautéing until mushrooms are cooked and lightly caramelized. Season with salt, pepper, Herbes de Provence.
- Fill hamantaschen with mixture and bake. After baking, top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Fill with a teaspoon of refried beens and top with cheddar cheese and bake. Once done baking, top with guacamole and salsa.