Ahh…breakfast. The most important meal of the day. I often neglect this meal and run out the door with a banana or a spoonful of yogurt. Joe is the real breakfast maker. He makes the best eggs, chicken sausage, fruit and yogurt and always remembers to set the coffee to go off on time.
So I must confess that I do feel so rebellious and picking one heck of a time to post this. Being that today is the 1st day of Passover and all and bread is usually OUT. I do remember many Passover dinners at my grandparents house as a kid and lots of matzo, but I also remember enjoying a slice of Jewish rye bread in the morning. My family was never really THAT observant. But boy…I’ll take a matzo brei for breakfast any day!
So I know this is such a ‘shanda” but I promise this is the easiest breakfast you will ever have. I mean honestly, anything with a luxurious dripping egg yolk is pure decadence!
All this holds is some cooked kale, tomatoes and leftover mozzarella cheese. I used frozen naan bread that we always keep in thee freezer and made a slight well in the center to hold the egg. I cracked the egg ever so gently into its nest and slid this pizza onto our hot pizza stone in the oven. 10 minutes later came out this beauty. With the whites set and yolk slightly trembling, as soon as it was pierced poured out creamy gold.
So for all my non-observant friends….enjoy!
1 Breakfast Pizza
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 naan bread
- 1/2 cup cooked kale (or frozen and defrosted)
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or 1 small one, chopped)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
- 2 Tb sour cream (or yogurt or ricotta cheese)
- 1 egg
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to 450 degrees F.
- If using frozen kale, run under water to defrost and squeeze out excess water. Add to a bowl and mix with sour cream and a few shavings of Parmesan cheese.
- Layer kale mixture on naan evenly. Add cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and make a "well" in the center for the egg.
- Crack an egg into a separate bowl and slowly pour into your prepared nest. Season with salt and pepper and carefully place on pizza stone and cook for 10 minutes or until the whites are set. Alternatively, you can place this on a baking sheet as well.
- When done, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.