If I could have one ice cream flavor for the rest of my life, it would be saffron and rose ice cream. Incredibly fragrant, sweet and slightly floral, this Persian ice cream hits all of the flavor spots and I can't get enough!
Saffron and Rose Ice Cream
Persian ice cream is probably one of my favorite ice cream flavors. I am bias to rose water and use it in a number of recipes such as my fruit rose tart and rose pistachio donuts that I make for Passover.
Saffron is another ingredient I always have on hand and a little goes a very long way. All you need is a pinch and a small jar will even last you through a number of recipes such as seafood and chorizo and Persian donuts called bamieh.
If you have an ice cream maker, I highly suggest trying these flavors next! There are "no churn" recipes, but I haven't tried that method yet. If you do, please let me know how it comes out!
Rose Saffron Ice Cream with Pistachios
- Ice Cream Maker
- In a medium pot, whisk together milk, heavy cream and ½ cup sugar. Allow to warm up but not boil. Make sure sugar dissolves and keep warm.
- Next, grind 1 teaspoon of sugar and pinch of saffron threads in a mortar. Grind until the saffron breaks down. You still may see some threads leftover.
- Add sugar and saffron mixture and the rose water to cream mixture. Mix to incorporate.
- On low heat, add the egg yolks slowly while whisking at the same time. Continue whisking and keeping on low heat for about 8-10 minutes until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Once everything is mixed well, take the cream mixture and strain it with a sieve (or fine mesh strainer) over a bowl to remove leftover saffron threads.
- Place mixture in a well-sealed container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. The mixture has to be chilled before churning.
- Once mixture is chilled, pour into ice-cream maker. I am using the Kitchen-Aid Ice Cream attachment. For this attachment, I placed the setting at 1-2 and let it turn for 20 minutes. At the last 2 minutes, add the chopped pistachios.
- It will be very soft at this point so place in container and in the freezer for at least 2 more hours until ready to serve.