So right when you ask for more latke recipes…You think I’d bring you more latkes recipes?? Well, yes of course. There’s a few more coming later this week, but today we have a new fried lovah in town.
Meet…the savory donut! With wine and cheese, of course. A few of my blogging friends and I wanted to get together this Hanukkah and have a virtual Hanukkah party AND Giveaway!! (Scroll down to read about it!) …you may remember it from last year. But instead of doing the the tried and true several course dinner with appetizers and entrees, yada yada…we are staying positively dedicated to Hanukkah fashion and frying! All donuts, all day long! Do ya love it?
Now you know me (and I hope you do by now), that I have a very front savory tooth. I’d take a plate of falafel over cake any day. So of course I have to savory-fy the donut! I did it last year with my Swiss chard sufganiyot (very good combination of flavors if you decide to try) and did it again this year. Trust me and go there.
Wine and cheese is everything you need. And then some spicy hatch chiles, because if you love spice, this will make everything nice (too corny for ya?, Ya me too). These savory donuts are fried to golden perfection and studded with pieces of hatch chile and cheddar cheese throughout the dough. Next time I may STUFF the donut with cheese (Joey suggestion).
To counteract the spice and savory factor, I made a simple sweet raspberry wine dipping sauce. Easy and not too sweet…add it all to a pot and reduce and then save some for ice cream later (another one to trust me about).
Hanukkah Donut Party!
Now have some donut fun and get frying! Here’s what everyone else made for our Hanukkah donut party!
Amy from What Jew Wanna Eat made: Savory Sufganiyot Hanukkah Doughnuts with Chopped Liver Mousse & Manischewitz Glaze
Miriam from Overtime Cook made: Deep Fried Brownie Fritters
Chanie from Busy in Brooklyn made: Jelly Ring Donuts
Melinda from Kitchen Tested made: Cake Donut Bread Pudding with Vanilla Glaze
And for the fun part….
Hanukkah Instagram Giveaway!
Yields 25 donuts
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 Tb baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted hatch chiles (seeds removed)
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- Canola or Vegetable oil for frying
- Chopped green onion, for garnish
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice and zest
- Small cinnamon stick (about 1/2 inch)
- To make the donuts, whisk together the water, milk and eggs together until well combined. Then sift together the flour, salt, cayenne and baking powder.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients with the wet until a dough forms. Then fold in the cheddar and parmesan and chiles until combined.
- In a medium sized pot, add oil to about 2-3 inches deep. Heat oil to about 350 degrees F or until you can tet it with a piece of dough and it sizzles.
- Use a cookie scoop to spoon dough into oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. When done, remove to a paper toweled lined tray and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and chopped green onion for garnish.
- To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a small pot and boil for 10min until thickened. Then strain through a fine sieve, discarding cinnamon stick and solids and allow to cool.
- Serve donuts with raspberry sauce.
Donut recipe adapted from Food.com