|Edible Play dough?|
Thanksgiving Leaf Cookies
- 3 c flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c unsalted butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tb milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Lemon zest
- Food coloring: yellow orange, green, purple
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer (hand mixer works find too), mix butter until light in color. Add sugar, egg, and milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Beat to combine.
- On low speed, gradually add in flour mixture until just combined.
- Using floured hands, divide dough into quarters.
- Take Â¼ and place back into mixing bowl. Add food coloring and mix to combine.
- *Note-start with a small amount of coloring at first. Also, when color was mostly mixed, I took it out and kneaded it until all color was mixed through.
- Repeat with the rest of dough. Make sure to clean the paddle and bowl after each color, so you don't mix the colors together.
- When desired color is done, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Break pieces off of each colored dough and place them next to each other, creating a â??patchworkâ?? of color.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough to Â¼ in thick.
- Cut leaf shapes with a leaf cookie-cutter and place on baking sheet.
- Use a toothpick to outline leaf-veins and sprinkle sugar on top for sparkle.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-9 minutes until edges are just done. Allow to rest on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes and then place on wrack to cool.