I have been on a coconut frenzy lately and can't get enough of it. Coconut…
A simple salmon curry with with strong Thai flavors of ginger, galangal and lemongrass. Serve with basmati rice for a flavorful and quick weeknight dinner.
When you’re lovely friends from Alaska Gold Seafood ask you to create a salmon recipe, the wheels start turning. Spices and herbs, new roots to try and aromatics..this is my absolute favorite part of creating recipes.
On a whim of a weeknight, you will often find me simmering a curry. I let the store help me out with the curry paste (though it’s been on my bucket list to make) and add a “Sammy-touch” as Joe likes to say with bright aromatics of lemongrass and galangal. If I found keffir lime leaves, I would use those, but fresh lime works just as well.
Have you heard of Keta Salmon?
We eat a lot of salmon and were pleasantly surprised when Alaska Gold Seafood introduced us to this type of salmon. A less fattier and more mild salmon which is also less expensive. Because of how mild it is, Keta salmon is able to take on stronger flavors, such as in this aromatic salmon curry.
Poach the Salmon in Coconut Curry
What I enjoy so much about this salmon curry, besides the intense flavors, is the level of easiness. I don’t brown the fish, instead I gently allow it to simmer and poach in the flavored coconut curry broth until just done. Nearly 10 minutes later, the salmon should be just cooked through and incredible tender. Once done, I spoon the curry sauce over the salmon and break it up for easier serving and serve along side jasmine rice. Spoon the sauce all over the fish and rice because you won’t be able to get enough of it.
Salmon Curry with Lemongrass and Galangal
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and chopped finely
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 inch piece of galangal root sliced
- 2 stalks of lemongrass gently crushed
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground curry powder
- 2 tbsp. panang or red curry paste
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ lb keta salmon
- Salt and pepper
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro and mint leaves
- Sliced Fresno pepper
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet and being to medium-high heat. Add sliced shallot, garlic and jalapeno and sauté until shallot is translucent but not browned.
- Stir in the ginger, galanga root, lemongrass, spices and curry paste and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add in brown sugar and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Nestle in the salmon and season with salt and pepper. Place a lid on the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes until curry mixture has thickened slightly and salmon is cooked through.
- Once done, you can flake the salmon for easier serving and garnish with fresh cilantro and mint leaves, sliced chili and lime wedges.