Slightly sweet parsnip latkes are made mini sized, which are perfect for a single bite or an appetizer. Then parsnip latkes are topped with some fantastic toppings, a dollop of creme fraiche, lox and caviar. May I suggest a glass of bubbly to pair with?
Latkes and Caviar
This was originally made a few years ago when Hanukkah happened to fall on New Years Eve. But because these are some of my favorite toppings to put on latkes, I make them every year as an appetizer to start the Hanukkah celebrations.
Another fun project, would be to make your own homemade lox top top the latkes with.
A Few Latke Making Tips
- Whats so fun about latkes, is that you can use all sorts of vegetables. These have parsnips, which offer a slight sweetness.
- Wherever vegetable you use, squeeze out most of the moisture so they fry up well.
- Use a high heat cooking oil, such as avocado, grapeseed or vegetable oi.
- Place fried latkes on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
Parsnip Latkes with Creme Fraiche and Caviar
- Creme fraiche or sour cream + lemon zest
- Smoked Salmon
- Micro greens
- First make the latkes. Shred the parsnip, potatoes and onion using the shredding attachment of your food processor or shred by hand if you prefer.
- Use a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, about a handful at a time.
- Then add vegetables to a large bowl and mix in the eggs, matzo meal and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with canola oil and test with a small piece of batter to see if the oil is hot enough. If it sizzles, it's ready.
- Then use a teaspoon (for mini size) and spoon a mixture of the latke into the hot oil, gently pressing down so it flattens and is even and cook on first side for about 3-4 minutes. Then carefully flip over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- When done, remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt while it's still hot.
- To make the creme fraiche, just mix a bit of lemon zest with the creme fraiche (or sour cream) and set aside.
- Top latke with a slice of lox, a dollop a bit of the creme fraiche, caviar and micro greens.