Who loves you?? Yes...I do. Why? Because I have a BIG...HUGE...gooey, chocolate chip cookie the…
Welcome to Day 5 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter!
It’s starting to smell a lot like Christmas here! Er…well actually, it still smells like Hanukkah in this house. I just got done frying a few batches of latkes, and let me tell you when I say I am done with frying! (Can someone pass this girl a carrot??) But…before Hanukkah ends, I still have 1 more latke to share this weekend! As for baking…let the fun begin!
I’ve already baked 6 dozen of these ginger molasses cookies and about 2o more are on their way! Ti’s the season for late nights and sugar comas. Can someone pass this chick a cucumber…goodness knows I could use a vegetable.
Keeping this short a sweet, these ginger molasses cookies are planning to make lots of gift appearances this year. I purposely kept a few cookies for several days after they were baked to “test” the softness (ya, that’s what they call it…testing) and they were just as soft as the first day, with a slight chew and tender center. I was so happy they didn’t harden like other ginger molasses cookies I’ve had, these stayed pillowy and soft for 3-4 days afterwards.
Ginger Molasses Cookies with White Chocolate
- 3 cups flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling dough
- 1 8 z bag of good quality white chocolate chips
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- Colorful sprinkles for decorating (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, add the butter and beat until soft. Then add the brown sugar and beat until well combined and fluffy. Then add the molasses, egg, vanilla and orange zest and continue mixing until well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl so everything is combined well.
- Next, with the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Turn the (very sticky) dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheet with parchment paper (I used a silpat). Use a cookie ball scoop and roll about a Tb sized ball between your hands. Then roll dough in sugar and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, rotating halfway through. Then remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring them to cooling wrack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cooled, start the white chocolate. Make a double boiler by adding about 2 inches of water in a small pot and placing a glass bowl above the pot so it is large enough for the bowl to not touch the water. Bring to a boil and add white chocolate chips and coconut oil and use a spatula to stir everything together until chocolate is completely melted.
- Then either drizzle melted chocolate to dip half of the cookie and sprinkle with colorful sprinkles.
- Allow to dry on cooling wrap before packaging, about an hour.
Recipes from Day 5 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
Gingerbread Ornaments from Cravings of a Lunatic
Holiday Chocolate Bark from Desserts Required
Cranberry Cocktail from Poet in the Pantry
Spiced Hibiscus and Cranberry Mojito from Pineapple and Coconut
Homemade Toffee from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
S’mores Hot Chocolate from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Peppermint Truffles from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Boozy Bourbon Balls from Amee’s Savory Dish
Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake from Comfortably Domestic
Magic Cookie Truffles from Farm Fresh Feasts
Chocolate Mocha Roulade from Mother Would Know
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars from My Catholic Kitchen
Cardamon Coffee Bars with Mascarpone Frosting from Daily Appetite
Peppermint Mocha Truffles from Try Anything Once Culinary
Christmas Bundt Cake from Savory Experiments
Mexican Chocolate Panna Cotta from Cooking In Stilettos
Cherry Brandy Old Fashioned from Food Babbles
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies from Mind Over Batter
Chocolate Covered Snowmen S’mores from Big Bear’s Wife
Habanero Orange Thumbprint Cookies from Everyday Southwest
Peppermint Marshmallow Brownies from From Gate to Plate
Spiced Rum Hot Chocolate from The Tomato Tart
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from CopyKat Recipes
Christmas Week Amazon Gift Card Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada. Giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015. Winners must be 18 years of age. Winners will be notified by email. Winners will be asked a skill testing question.