These are some of my favorite flavors. Salty and briny with sweet tomatoes. We always…
\\Chicken chili verde is a delicious and simple Mexican stew made full of chicken and beans and bright flavors of fresh lime and tomatillos.
Chicken Chili Verde is a gorgeous Mexican stew
The beautiful color comes from fresh tomatillos and green chilis. I often debate with myself whether I should share recipes where you can find millions of them throughout the web. But after all, this is a constant exploration of my palate, of food, of food in cultures and of what we eat in our home.
So, therefore, welcome to my second introduction to tomatillos in this glorious chili verde recipe.
Authentic chile verde recipe starts with a tomatillo base
I shared the first time I had tomatillos when I made roasted tomatillo salsa. And may I add, is a breeze to make. After you husk and wash the tomatillos, which can be a bit sticky, roast them until the tomatillos are incredibly soft with some caramelization.
I have also read that authentic chile verde has LOTS of meat and little to no beans. I am sure this would be even more amazing with slow cooked pork (on the must make list and will report back), but I think adding beans adds a great amount of protein and texture.
Make this chile verde recipe in the slow cooker
The wonderful thing about this chile verde recipe is that it’s made in the slow cooker! You can also make it on the stove top and cook until flavors meld together, I’d suggest about 25-30 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through.
For the slow cooker version, add the tomatillo base into the slow cooker and add uncooked chicken and beans. After a few hours, the green chicken chili soup melds together beautifully and is the perfect accompaniment with an ice cold cervesa, extra hot sauce and tortilla chips. Honestly, I could live on Mexican food, thank you very much.
Chicken Chili Verde
- 4 Anaheim chiles seeded and cut in half
- 1 onion cut in quarters
- 2 Lbs tomatillos about 12, husks removed and cut into quarters
- 1 jalapeno cut in half
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup water optional to thin out sauce
- 2 whole skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cans white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Begin by making roasted tomatillo salsa. On a baking sheet, add the Anaheim chili's, tomatillos, jalapeno, onion and garlic cloves. Drizzle everything with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until everything is softened and caramelized.
- When done, add roasted vegetables to a food processor along with cilantro, lime zest and juice and 1/2 cup of water (if you need to thin out). Blend everything until it becomes a salsa consistency.
- Next, add everything else to your slow cooker. Add the tomatillo salsa, chicken, beans and chicken stock. You may want to season additionally at this point too.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
- When done, you should be able to easily shred chicken. Add shredded chicken back into chili.
- Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips and garnish with lime and extra cilantro.
Also, if time is an issue, throw in some frozen chicken breasts!