Have you ever gone to the movies and had leftover popcorn? Yea, me neither.
Buttered Popcorn Cookies
- 4 cups buttered popcorn if you use popcorn left over from the movie theatre, use the same day
- Make your own which yields the best result. If you want to make your own here is what you need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 +1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
If you are popping your own popcorn:
- Pour oil over bottom of large saucepan that has a lid. Add the popcorn kernels, shimmying the pan around so the kernels make one layer.
- Cover pot and heat over medium-high heat. Once kernels begin to pop, keep saucepan moving until all of the kernels have popped (5-7min).
- Toss with table salt and melted butter.
- You should have 4-4.5 cups of popcorn.
- Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large town, cream together softened butter, brown sugar, granulates sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and baking soda together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the popcorn. I used my hands to combine the popcorn into the dough. It is ok if popcorn breaks up.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and roll a heaping tablespoon sized dough mound into a ball and place 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and let them sit on the hot baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.