Looking for easier holiday cookies to bake? Try my Italian wedding cookieswhich are so easy to whip up!
- 3 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 10 Tb 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tb vanilla extract
- 1 Tb orange liqueur
- 1 Tb orange zest about half the orange
- 1 c whole almonds toasted and sliced
- 1 egg white for egg wash
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- Mix sugar, melted butter, 3 eggs, vanilla extract, orange liqueur and zest in large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with spatula until well blended. Mix in almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each dough half into 13 1/2-inch-long, 2 1/2-inch-wide log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer both logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing apart. (They spread.)
- Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy; brush over top and sides of each dough log.
- Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread), about 30 minutes. Cool logs completely on sheet on rack, about 25 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
- *This is where I need to fix my quirks-I think I made my logs a little too thick, causing the middle to not cook as evenly as needed. I cooked mine for an extra 10-15 minutes. Next time I will not make them as "thick".
- Transfer logs to work surface and discard parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, cut logs on a diagonal into 1/2-inch-wide slices. (I'll practice more next time!) Arrange slices, cut side down, on same baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Turn biscotti over and bake until just beginning to color, about 8 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.