Burnt Basque Cheesecake
Burnt Basque Cheesecake inspired from the infamous La Viña in San Sebastian, Spain. Incredibly light and creamy with a deep caramel burnt top.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- Non-stick spray
- 2 pounds full fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 7 whole eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray non-stick spray all over the inside of a 10 inch spring form pan, ensuring nothing will stick. Then line the pan with several sheets of parchment paper, making sure that there is a 2 inch overhand along all the sides.
Using an electric mixer (you can also with everything by hand), cream the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.
On low-medium speed, add in the whole eggs, one at a time and mix thoroughly then stream in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. You may need to use a spatula to scrape any cream cheese that was stuck on the bottom of the bowl. Just make sure everything is mixed in well.
Turn off mixer and remove bowl and fold in the flour with a spatula.
Pour the batter into the parchment lined pan and place on a baking sheet to prevent spillage in your oven.
Bake for 60 minutes, checking at about 50 minutes if your oven runs hot. You want to see a deep caramel color on the top of the puffed cheesecake but it shouldn't be all the way black. ]
Once done, let cool at room temperature in the pan for at least 2 hours so the cheesecake can set, then serve at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Marti Buckley's cookbook, Basque Country with a few tweaks from a recipe our tour guide gave us.
- Use room temperature cream cheese but if it's still cold, just mix the batter a bit more.
- Depending on your oven, check the cheesecake at 50 minutes. If it's not caramelized yet, keep it in for another 10 minutes. The color should be similar to the pictures in this post.
- You must leave the cheesecake to cool to room temperature and do not remove it from the pan while it's hot.
- The cheesecake should jiggle lightly and will deflate as it cools.
Calories: 835kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 65g | Saturated Fat: 37g | Cholesterol: 349mg | Sodium: 442mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 48g | Vitamin A: 2605IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 1mg