Creamy Parmesan Polenta with Thyme
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves removed + more for garnish
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
In a small to medium sized pot over medium heat, drizzle with olive oil and add chopped shallot. Saute for 2-3 minutes until color just starts to change, but not too dark.
Add the chopped garlic, thyme leaves and red pepper flakes, if using and saute for another minute.
Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, whisk in cornmeal and reduce heat to low-medium, if needed.
Continue whisking for a good 5 minutes until polenta thickens. Then whisk in grated Parmesan, salt and pepper, butter and heavy cream.
Continue whisking and turn heat off. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
When serving, garnish with an extra drizzle of olive oil, thyme leaves and a grating of Parmesan cheese.
- Polenta is a blank canvas so use aromatics to increase it's flavor potential, such as stock, shallots, garlic and fresh herbs.
- As the polenta cools, it will thicken up. Add a bit more stock or cream and whisk it to thicken.
- To re-heat creamy polenta, just whisk in more stock or cream over low heat until it loosens and gets creamy.
- Parmesan is classic in cheesy polenta, but other cheeses such as shredded gouda and Gruyere would be fantastic.
- If you don't have heavy cream, sour cream or full fat yogurt is a good substitute.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 841mg | Potassium: 426mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 2mg