Salt and Vinegar Potato Latkes
A play on the traditional potato latkes, these salt and vinegar potato latkes have a hint of sourness from the vinegar and a healthy sprinkle of sea salt. Serve along side onion and chive sour cream for a fun play on latkes.
Servings: 12 latkes
Salt and Vinegar Latkes
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large white onion peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup white vinegar + more for brushing on
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Canola vegetable or grapeseed oil for frying
Sour Cream Mixture
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- Fresh chives for garnish
Start by either gating the potato and onion with a hand grater or grating attachment of your food processor.
Place shredded vegetables in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze most of the liquid out, then add to a large bowl along with vinegar and toss to combine.
Add in the eggs, matzo meal and salt and pepper and mix everything together.
Heat a large skillet with oil and place a tablespoon sized mixture into the oil. If it sizzles, it's ready. Gently use the back of your spoon and press down and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the edges are crisp and golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Remove latkes to a wire lined baking sheet and lightly brush with more vinegar and a good sprinkle of sea salt.
For the sour cream, stir together the sour cream with dried onion and chives and taste for seasoning. Garnish with fresh chives.
- Squeeze out most of the liquid. The onion is more watery than potato and you don't want a soggy mixture.
- Test the oil with a small piece of mixture, if it sizzles, it's ready.
- Salt the latkes as soon as they're out of the frying pan and hot!
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 124mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 259IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg