Grilled Beef and Lamb Kofta with Eggplant and Tomatoes
Servings: 4 servings
Kofta and Veggies:
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- ¼ pound ground lamb
- Bunch of fresh mint finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of grated onion about 1/2 of an onion, excess liquid removed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoonTurkish red pepper or any red pepper for spice
- 2 small eggplants cut in half
- 3-4 Whole tomatoes
- ½ cup tahini paste
- ¼ cup water may not use all of it
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lightly oil the kofta and place on medium-high heat either on a gas or charcoal grill and grill the kofta until the first side is charred (about 4-5 minutes), then turn over and continue cooking the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
As the meat cooks, lightly oil the vegetables and place on grill until they are charred and softened.
When done, place koftas and grilled vegetables on pita bread so meat juices can soak into the bread. Season grilled vegetables with kosher salt.
To serve, drizzle tahini sauce over kofta and vegetable sand serve with pita bread and lemon wedges.
To make Tahini sauce:
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend well. The texture should resemble the thickness of honey and be loose enough to drizzle.
Add more or less water for desired consistency.
Taste for seasoning. Store extra in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Calories: 596kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 1282mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 913IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 5mg