Savory Turkish Zucchini Pie
Savory Turkish zucchini pie with ricotta and updated with the addition of shredded gruyere. Also called almodrote, this easy Turkish casserole will become everyone's favorite dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups shredded yellow squash or shredded zucchini about 2-3 zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese separated
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp olive oil for oiling casserole dish
- Grated Parmesan
- Scallions chopped for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you haven't already, shred the squash or zucchini using the larger wholes of a box grater and squeeze out any excess moisture.
Add the shredded squash to a large bowl along with the ricotta, crumbled feta and 1/2 cup of Gruyere, eggs and breadcrumbs and mix everything to combine.
Lightly oil a medium sized casserole dish and pour in the squash and cheese mixture.
Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and a healthy grate of Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes, until puffed up and bubbly. If you want to brown the top a bit, place under the broiler for the last minute, keeping a close eye on the top so it doesn't burn.
Once done, let cool slightly and top with chopped scallions.
- Substitute green zucchini in place of the yellow squash, but if you can find yellow squash, definitely use that.
- I love the combination of feta, ricotta and Gruyere but feel free to play around and use different cheese such as mozzarella or gouda.
- Make sure to squeeze any excess moisture out of the shredded zucchini, which could make the casserole soggy.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 182mg | Sodium: 395mg | Potassium: 406mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 449mg | Iron: 1mg