Chorizo Bolognese with Capers and Burrata
Weeknight dinner with a bit of a kick! Chorizo bolognese with briny capers and finished with creamy burrata cheese.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- Kosher salt for boiling pasta
- 1 lb. linguini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground chorizo removed from casing
- 1 cup red wine
- 1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes with their juices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup capers save some for garnish
- 1-2 balls of burrata cheese
- Red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
Begin by boiling a large pot of water with a good sprinkling of salt and cook pasta until barely done, about 2 minutes before package directions say. Reserve about 1 cup of starchy pasta water before draining the pasta.
While pasta is cooking, make the chorizo bologense sauce by drizzling olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and saute until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped garlic and saute for another minute then add the ground beef and chorizo. Use a wooden spatula to break up the meat and continue cooking until meat is cooked through about 10 minutes.
Pour in the red wine and let reduce by half, scraping any bits from the bottom. Add in the tomatoes with their juices and stir everything together. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until liquid has reduced by half and the sauce becomes ragu like.
Once done, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Add capers and cooked pasta and toss everything together. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of reserved pasta water and stir everything together.
Serve chorizo bolognese in large bowls and top with roughly torn burrata cheese, freshly grated Parmigiano cheese and red pepper flakes.
Recipe adapted with permission by Nikki Marie, author of Simple, Elegant Pasta Dinners
- Toss a tablespoon of olive oil with the cooked pasta to help prevent sticking while you make the sauce.
- Reserve about 1 cup of starchy pasta water to add to sauce, if needed.
- Use any pasta shape for the recipe, spaghetti, linguini or papperdelle would all be great.
Calories: 805kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 806mg | Potassium: 446mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 3mg