Kalbi Beef Bowl with Kimchi (Korean Short Ribs)
Marinade adapted from [Maangchihttp://www.maangchi.com/recipe/la-galbi]
Prep Time1 d
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time1 d 15 mins
Servings: 2 -3 servings
- Kalbi Marinade
- 3 lbs Korean short ribs
- 2 pears seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1 small onion cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Korean chili pepper
- 3 Tb sesame oil + a bit more for cooking
- 2 scallions roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated or chopped well
- 2 Tb soy sauce
Other Ingredients for Kalbi Bowl
- Cooked Rice
- Cucumber Kimchi recipe HERE
- Traditional Kimchi
- Sunny side up egg
- Green onions chopped
For the marinade, add all the marinade ingredients to a food processor and blend until it forms a lose paste.
Add ribs to a wide shallow dish or bowl and pour mixture over it, making sure to toss well so everything is coated evenly. Then cover and marinade in refrigerator for at least 8 hours to overnight.
Once ready, remove ribs from fridge and wipe off any excess marinade.
Add about 1 Tb of sesame oil to a large cast iron set on medium-high heat and cook the ribs for about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through and charred on the outside.
Depending how thick your rib cuts are, the cook time may be longer or shorter, so just keep an eye on it.
Once done, serve in a bowl filled with cooked rice, kimchi, over easy or sunny side up egg and garnish with furikake and green onions.