Spinach and Feta Borek (Turkish Spinach Pie)
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 24 boreks, cut into triangles
- Phyllo defrosted: 2 "packages" come in a box, I just used 1.
- 3 packages frozen spinach defrosted and drained of water.
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 egg
- Small bunch of fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Small bunch of fresh dill roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Tb butter melted and solids removed (just pour melted butter through a fine sieve and keep the gold liquid)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
In a large bowl, mix together all the spinach fillings ingredients well. In a separate bowl mix the glaze together and a 3rd bowl, mix the topping glaze.
Using a 9 x 13 pan, brush pan on all sides and bottom with glaze.
Unfold phyllo and place on a dry clean surface. Have a lightly damp towel close to cover as you're layering. Each package comes with about 20 layers of phyllo.
Layer the first layer of pastry into the pan and brush with glaze. Continue this for 10 layers.
Add spinach filling and distribute evenly. Then top with phyllo and continue to add layers, glazing in between the layers.
When all phyllo is used, top with topping glaze. Then use a sharp knife to cut into 12 squares or 24 triangles.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the top begins to brown.